Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

GCSE's/Flexi Schooling

(7 Posts)
sometimessunshine Mon 24-Feb-14 13:13:51

I have just had a meeting with DS's school Senco and been told he has to take core subjects plus 4 optional subjects. I was hoping for him just to be able to take core subjects plus 1 other (DS's choice), I have been told NO as there would be no provision in place for DS when he didn't have a lesson. Has anybody had any experience of challenging a school over this? Could DS come home during those times? Can anyone point me in the direction of anyone that could help? Don't really know how to proceed as DS will not cope with that many subjects and I feel like they are setting him up to fail. Thank you.

NoHaudinMaWheest Tue 25-Feb-14 12:49:20

Does your ds have a statement?
If he does it is probably going to be easier to get the school to make adjustments.
Does he see any professionals who can back your judgement that a full GCSE course will be too much.

Schools do prefer students to do full timetables because it is easier for them and possibly because they don't want to be limiting students' opportunities.
Does the school have a resource unit or any other provision for students who are struggling.

sometimessunshine Tue 25-Feb-14 16:24:43

Thanks for replying. We are waiting to hear about a statement (1 week to go) I thought that it would be case about a statement making it easier to negotiate. Unfortunately they do not a resource unit as such due to staffing issues. They do have what they call a 'link' room which is staffed by a TA but apparently that is not suitable for him as he requires too much support. I just wondered if there was any groups etc that could give advice on how to proceed.

MyCatIsFat Tue 25-Feb-14 19:26:40

Talk to IPSEA or SOS!SEN. Both organisations offer advice.

sometimessunshine Tue 25-Feb-14 19:35:56

Thank you. I will wait for the outcome of the statement and then contact them.

MyCatIsFat Tue 25-Feb-14 19:56:41

It could be months before you have a Statement in your hands. GCSE choices will need to be made bfore then. I'd talk to ISEA or SOS!SEN now. What you are seeking is a 'resonable adjustment' based on his disabilities. You are not attempting to have him disapplied from any of the NC subjects, just those he has difficulty with. We were told not to waste DS's energy on things that he simply couldn't or wouldn't do and concentrate on the things in which he was likely to be most successful.

The main issue for you is who would 'look after him when he's not in the classes for the subjects he's not taking. I'd suggest he either sits in the class but does something that interests him / comes home or they provide a baby-sitter' at school. Again, you could argue that he's being discrimmated against as, if he didn't have the disabilities he does have, he could use the TA staffed link room.

sometimessunshine Tue 25-Feb-14 20:49:34

You're right, I will phone them tomorrow. Sometimes I just wish everything wasn't such a fight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now