Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS1 and sleep - thinking of trying to get melatonin for him - can anyone give me feedback?

(7 Posts)
Loueytb3 Mon 24-Feb-14 09:56:44

I've posted before about DS1 who is not going to sleep in the evenings and causing havoc. The situation had improved in that he had stopped screaming the house down but towards the end of last week its got worse again. He is literally trying not to go to sleep with the result that he's knackered.

I know a couple of people have mentioned melatonin as a possible solution and his school have also mentioned it. I am going to try and get an appt with his paed (which might take a while as he's been discharged) but I am wondering what (if any) the side-effects are.

Obstacles Mon 24-Feb-14 10:58:39

Ds aged 8 has this and it has been amazing. It was taking him hours to get to sleep and he'd get up to all sorts in his room. Now he snuggles down, stays in bed and is asleep within the hour. No side effects as far as I can tell. Apparently they sell it over the counter in the states.

hazeyjane Mon 24-Feb-14 11:22:07

We have been using melatonin with ds (3.7) for a year, he was unable to turn off, and would just get more and more hysterical and wild eyed. Now he is settled within about 20 mins of taking melatonin (he still wakes in the night though).

The only side effect we have seen is that when he is asleep, he is a lot less twitchy and restless than he used to be.

For us it has been an all round 'good thing'smile

MrsDeVere Mon 24-Feb-14 11:27:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hazeyjane Mon 24-Feb-14 11:36:40

It is crazy isn't it, MrsDeVere. We are very lucky that ds's gp prescribes him liquid melatonin on repeat, his paed said that he has hardly ever met another gp who is willing to do this! (We a very very lucky with our gp)

Loueytb3 Mon 24-Feb-14 12:34:03

Thanks - that's really reassuring.

I've phoned CDC and have left a message for his paediatrician but his secretary says I may need to get a new referral. She said it had to be prescribed by a paediatrician as its an unlicensed medicine. Just hope we can see someone soon.

MrsDeVere Mon 24-Feb-14 14:21:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now