Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

In the syndrome mix

(6 Posts)
Hanginginthere1234 Sun 23-Feb-14 22:27:40

I downloaded this book after it was recommended here and am plucking up the courage to post
I think for 2 years I felt like I was imagining things because I kept being told it's just a delay and then it switched to it's ASD: just at the point where DS has started to change
But now if I voice my doubts, I can feel the eyebrows being raised - as it just looks like denial.

The book talks about how the developmental conditions overlap and I sometimes wonder if DS has dyspraxia
I fully accept there is a developmental problem though.
I'm not sure why I am posting but maybe it will help get it off my chest and feel calmer/work out what to do

Does anyone know much about how things overlap?

autianarchy Sun 23-Feb-14 22:40:31

So many 'processing disorders' over lap. I've always felt that there are a series of sets of diagnostic criteria for each condition - ASD, Aspies, ADD, ADHD, Dyspraxia, and so on. Most of our kids do not fit in these neatly defined categories, but are actually floating around in the grey area in between them (often more than a couple). My son is certainly ASD and Dyspraxic, we'll have to wait and see about dyslexic (which I am). However, he's not a black and white case of ASD as he's not much of a ridged thinker, routine changes don't bother him too much, and he's not majorly obsessive. Nor do we have many melt-downs. Instead we have a passive avoiding kind of autism. Either way, I've come to realise the labels are little more than a sign post. What matters are the symptoms and addressing those. If you've a child with communication / language issues get a speech therapist involved, and so on.

Best of luck, and what matters most is you have recognised 'something' might be going on and are looking for information on how to move forward with that.

Hanginginthere1234 Sun 23-Feb-14 23:13:21

In the grey area - it's a good description
I didn't explain clearly enough sorry: DS already has a diagnosis of ASD and a statement etc
But the accuracy of what is written on the signpost does niggle at me - and being in the grey area sums it up

ouryve Mon 24-Feb-14 10:43:49

DS1 is firmly in the mix - officially described as "complex", which means, "shit, where do we start?" in his case. His original diagnosis was "Autism with associated hyperactivity" and he is now described by his psychiatrist as having ADHD with atypical autism. He has sensory processing difficulties which undoubtedly add to his hyperactivity and distractibility - but without treating his ADHD, a sensory diet has little effect (and we were reminded of this when we went away and forgot his medication, this weekend!) - the two sides are undoubtedly closely tied together. His sensory defensiveness also exacerbates his rigidity, associated with his ASD - having the wind or rain in his face, or sun in his eyes, unleashes a load of obsessive, inflexible behaviours, when he might have been quite calm before leaving the house.

Textbook ASD strategies often ramp up his anxiety - we have to use PDA strategies with him. On top of all that, he has serious mental health issues. Anxiety has been a problem, for a long time, but he is now showing signs of depression and has begun to tic, this year, to such an extent that he now meets the criteria for tic disorder.

His official ADHD/ASD diagnosis only tells us which trees we need to be barking up. Many of the branches he inhabits on the ASD tree are quite different from those we find DS2 on.

PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 12:09:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hanginginthere12345 Mon 24-Feb-14 13:04:22

thank you that is useful to read about, appreciate the posts.

do any of you know - if having say, a diagnosis of ASC rather than dyspraxia gets you "more" on a statement
i know it should be needs-led so perhaps this should not matter

we already have our statement in place so again maybe not an issue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now