Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Paediatrician discharging us so now what?

(6 Posts)
Lesley25 Sun 23-Feb-14 18:29:13

Our ds has a ds of asd just before he was 3. Now he is of school age and at our last apt she said he would be discharged to the "local paediatrician" as she was just in charge of getting a diagnosis and making sure after a certain period of time had passed that it was the right one.
But now what?
My ds will be moving to a ss soon and he's 5 and I feel there are also issued with ADHD and visual difficulties I would like to talk to a pead about.

I've called our old pead office- she hasn't returned our calls.

Do I have to go back through to the gp to be referred to a developmental pead? To be honest apart from getting the dx right, she was of little help and quite cold.
If I have to go private I will but it's another expense to think about...

PolterGoose Sun 23-Feb-14 18:34:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oblomov Mon 24-Feb-14 21:38:38

Agree. Saw Paed last week. She wants to discharge us. I made her agree to see us in a year.
Ds1 was diagnosed 4 years ago.
I think I just asked her to see us in another year, because I was initially freaked our at the idea if being discharged.
But to be honest, not sure why. They have done nothing so far. And ds is not THAT bad, so I can't imagine they will do anything for us in the future either. So what's the point if going?

If you need help OP then stay. But if staying isn't going to help..... What are you hoping to get out if it?

Ineedmorepatience Mon 24-Feb-14 21:48:55

My friends children who attend special schools are seen by a school paediatrician, I dont know if this is just in their LA, not the same as mine but it could be the norm.

I would say that so long as your Ds is on somebody's books then you will be able to access referrals etc.

What you dont want to do is end up with no paediatrician involvement at all. That happened to us!

2boysnamedR Tue 25-Feb-14 00:09:45

Yes I would just make sure his case is transferred to a named person so you do not have to go back into the six months + waiting list.

Ds has had a row th sprit which has caused problems. You never know when something new might pop up that you need a expert point if view on

2boysnamedR Tue 25-Feb-14 00:10:16

Growth spurt that should read!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now