Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Positive for Down syndrome..

(9 Posts)
QloadingQ Sat 22-Feb-14 22:26:57

Hello, I'm nearly 21 weeks pregnant and at 15 weeks I got a positive for Down syndrome by CVS (alternative for amniocentesis for earlier in the pregnancy). Obviously in shock but after following a couple of blogs and forums I'm a little more terrified confident. I also found out that I'm having a little man grin . I was just wondering if anyone else had been through this, and how you coped.
Love, Jazz x

lougle Sat 22-Feb-14 22:41:20

Welcome to the SN board, Jazz smile

I don't have direct experience of Downs' Syndrome - my DD1 has a brain malformation which was not picked up antenatally.

I think you'll find that the benefit of Downs' Syndrome being relatively common, is that the professionals know a lot about it. There is normally quite a developed protocol when a baby is expected/discovered to have Downs' Syndrome, which means that your baby is likely to get a lot of physio, OT, portage and speech and language input from pretty much day 1.

When I went on my Makaton stage 1 course, there was a couple there who brought their 3 month old baby with them, who had Downs' Syndrome. They knew that he would have Special Needs, knew that he he needed all the help he could get to develop his speech and language, and they'd been booked onto the Makaton course just a few weeks after he was born!

I'm sure some people will be along with more relevant advice, but for now, I'll just say welcome smile

jogalong Sun 23-Feb-14 09:57:09

Hi Qloading. First of all can I say congratulations no your pregnancy and your little man. I'm sure the diagnosis of down syndrome is a big shock but I think it's better you know now than when he is born. You have time now to somewhat get your head around it.
I don't have a child with down syndrome but I do have aachild with additional needs. Every day is different for me. I'm up and down like a lead balloon. And Iv realised its ok to be like that. So don't be too hard no yourself if you feel like that too.
From reading here every child with the same condition is so so different so I suppose it's difficult to predict what your little man might be like.
I find it more difficult when I'm away from my child e.g at work. Once I get home I start to see him again as my gorgeous little boy. What I'm tryin to say is your head might run away with itself thinkin bout this but once you have your little man in your arms you'll feel so different. He's your little boy no matter what and you'll always be his mammy.
Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. A newborn no matter what needs a lot of your energy so get plenty rest while you can!

PolterGoose Sun 23-Feb-14 10:15:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bilberry Sun 23-Feb-14 13:05:58

I have a nephew with Down's syndrome. He is a lovely little boy. Everyone says that Down's children are so friendly, smiling, etc. but really they are just like every other child so can be nice or naughty!

My sister reckons it is the 'jackpot' (odd word for it hmm) of genetic conditions as the support is there from birth. They get portage, salt, OT, physio, regular meetings with the pead. They know what Down's is and how to deal with it. It is still hard at times and I think she spent much of her pregnancy adjusting to the idea and mourning what she had hoped for. But when her little lad was born she was free enjoy her new baby and just dealt with the hassle round the edges.

2old2beamum Sun 23-Feb-14 15:37:47

Congratulations on your little boy Jazz, what a lucky young man and sorry to sound syrupy lucky you!!

As an older Mum we have adopted 3 with Down's Syndrome and it is the best thing we have ever done. Be prepared for some cringe making moments I have enough to fill a book.
Probably the worst at my DF's funeral Lottie in a loud voice said "What's in the box" blush +++ The whole crematorium collapsed with laughter!!

Accept all the advice mull it over and mentally chuck out the rubbish

Good luck and please keep in touch.
XX

roi3ek Mon 24-Feb-14 03:10:27

Hello Q! Congratulations on your becoming a mom soon. My son, now 16, was born with Down Syndrome and later also developed autism. Contrary to you I did not know about his condition beforehand. He is delightful and a great guy, and, as somebody else said, while it is impossible to know how much a child will be affected by the condition, you will be so thrilled with him. smile

flickor Mon 24-Feb-14 13:14:30

Hi I was in your position last year and now have a wonderful little girl who has ds and I am breastfeeding right now. Its been brilliant and she is great. She has no medical problems and is a cheeky monkey who likes to kick off her blankets. Can I recommend you get in contact with the downs syndrome association. You will get lots of support. This time is hell but they are fab babies.

flickor Mon 24-Feb-14 13:15:42

The waiting bits is hellish this bit is wonderful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now