Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Who else could I pay to see am desperate for answers?

(37 Posts)
greener2 Sat 22-Feb-14 20:05:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Badvoc Sat 22-Feb-14 20:16:54

Can you be a bit more specific?
What are your concerns?

litdog Sat 22-Feb-14 20:17:49

Private OT? We've always had our best, most honest, answers from them.

Or private ed psych?

greener2 Sat 22-Feb-14 21:12:52

bjkmummy Sat 22-Feb-14 21:18:05

I found the OT was very helpful and picked up on so much. EP could be good as well but if it's an actual dx you want then maybe you need to go privately for an asd assessment.

Badvoc Sat 22-Feb-14 21:21:24

Hmmm...I see.
Well, We used a private ed psych and for us it was a compete waste of time. Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and school didn't act on any the (vague) recommendations anyway!
Wrt the listening thing...have you heard of ait? (auditory integration training?) loads of practitioners around.
Rrt (retained reflex therapy) is also great (helped ds1s anxiety immensely)
We used inpp at Chester.
However, by far the biggest help has been the Tinsley House programme (check out the support thread)
Things got a lot better for us when I stopped expecting the people paid to help our dc to help my son sad
And since then (2011) things are a lot worse I think...sen/sn provison is patchy at best.
Good luck x

beautifulgirls Sat 22-Feb-14 21:29:00

Talk to the SALT that you have coming and see what he/she thinks about things too. They will have a lot of experience with different underlying issues and may be able to point you in the right direction for further help.

greener2 Sun 23-Feb-14 07:07:05

salondon Sun 23-Feb-14 07:16:07

Are you after a diagnosis or intervention?

greener2 Sun 23-Feb-14 08:46:17

PolterGoose Sun 23-Feb-14 11:44:46

greener2 Sun 23-Feb-14 12:36:54

bochead Sun 23-Feb-14 13:49:18

I had the cahms ishoo with GOSH. A few years on I'm furious with them as it's turned out DS's most serious issues are all physical (sensory and co-ordination issues). Cahms can't help with therapy for a child's balance & his receptive language issues made talking therapies in KS1 a bust! I also know now that a lot of my parenting strategies were the right adaptations to his needs, whereas they just stole my confidence. he needed short sentences & pictures on the bathroom wall etc.

So I feel strongly that their arrogance has cost my DS a number of years when he could have been accessing the right help - calling him complex but refusing to allow him to be seen by a team capable of untangling things has done him no favours. Especially as he's 9 and still really struggling with very basic literacy skills.

About 5 years ago it was possible to pay for a private assessment at GOSH and be seen within 4 weeks. I couldn't afford it, but it's worth investigating if this is still an option for you. If I had my time again I would have taken the bank loan.

Badvoc Sun 23-Feb-14 13:53:11

I would recommend reading the brain food plan and is that my child by robin pauc. Available on amazon.
You can start implementing parts of the programme at home and you may see quick results (you may not, of course)
I just opted out of the whole sorry mess that calls itself sn/sen provison and there is not a day goes by I thank god I did.

zumbaleena Sun 23-Feb-14 13:55:59

If you are looking for peace of mind, and want to find out whether your dd is on the spectrum or not, and what solutions you need for your girl for the future....if you can afford to....pls spend for a private MULTI disciplinary assessment. You can try the team at London children practice or daphne keen. Once you have or do not have diagnosis, you move towards the solutions.

greener2 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:16:02

Sixtiesqueen Mon 24-Feb-14 19:21:04

Do you know which asd assessment you've already had? It's sounds as though you have already had a multi DISC assessment. I assess privately and in a multi disciplinary way but I'd be reluctant to assess if you had already had the same tests elsewhere. In fact, no, I wouldn't assess as it would seem unethical.

My absolute preferred assessment is the DISCO plus language testing and sensory profiling. Have you had the DISCO? The nature of the interview (which can take me 5-8 hours to conduct) is so in depth that it tends to signpost what the issue is when it's not ASD. Could you look at getting that in your area or privately via the Lorna Wing centre in Bromley? It's easy to reach from Bromley station, just up the hill.

greener2 Mon 24-Feb-14 19:56:14

greener2 Mon 24-Feb-14 19:59:47

2boysnamedR Mon 24-Feb-14 20:46:42

I didn't see sensory issues in ds or physically issues but he has dyspraxia.

If you rule things in, then rule them out. Ot does seem like a option.

2boysnamedR Mon 24-Feb-14 20:49:43

I still have to work solutions out for myself. Normal parenting does not work on ds. Once I figured that out we was all happier - but that did partly come from dx which "allowed" us to treat him differently.

My ds has a very low level if confrontation, he still gets disaplined to my high standard, but in a different way to ds1 ( who I do shout at I'm afraid some days)

greener2 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:59:23

nostoppingme Mon 24-Feb-14 21:00:58

Greener2 - have you seen zumbaleena's reply? A possibility?

Have you heard of Tomatis listening program?

What about sixties queen? Can you not reassess after certain time has passed? greener2 is at the end of her tether and needs help!!!!

Virtual hug.

PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 21:03:15

greener2 Mon 24-Feb-14 21:20:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now