Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone tell me when the diagnositc criteria changed what that meant..

(27 Posts)
greener2 Thu 20-Feb-14 19:54:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 20-Feb-14 19:58:31

The dx criteria has not changed for the ICD 10 which is the UK dxing tool.

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 20-Feb-14 19:59:42

The DSM 5 has move things around and the same people will probably get a dx, just not of the same things. The USk does not use DSM much ATM.

PolterGoose Thu 20-Feb-14 20:00:44

zzzzz Thu 20-Feb-14 20:14:57

Nothing has changed in the UK.

http://www.niccy.org/uploaded_docs/Aspergers%20Report/Appendix_1.pdf

SALT do not dx autism.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Feb-14 21:28:27

I agree with all of the above, we had a conversation with Dd3's new Paed about some confusion over her dx last week and she said that the UK diagnostics hadnt changed and were unlikely to at the moment.

greener2 Thu 20-Feb-14 21:46:35

greener2 Thu 20-Feb-14 21:50:49

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Feb-14 21:57:16

The American diagnostic criteria has changed so some stuff you read on the net talks about changes. Maybe thats where it has come from.

Borka Thu 20-Feb-14 21:57:42

My DS's paed diagnosed him (in November) with ASD rather than Aspergers on the basis of DSM5. This was even though she said he does actually have Aspergers, but she refused to mention it in the report at all.

Her only advice to me after the diagnosis was to read 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time'. shock

Ineedmorepatience Thu 20-Feb-14 22:44:54

Great borka How is that book meant to be helpful!! I just found it sad sad

The psychiatrist who dx'ed Dd3 wouldnt diagnose Aspergers either which has caused a few issues for Dd3 because she identifies with the Asd diagnosis that she was given but some proffs keep saying she has Aspergers.

In typical Asd/As pedanticness it drives her barmy smile confused.
We have asked the Paed to write to everyone to clarify what her actual diagnosis is.

Handywoman Thu 20-Feb-14 22:51:54

dd2 was given a diagnosis of ASD as per DSM-5, which was quoted in the report.

Sounds as though some places use ICD-10 others DSM-5.

Confusing!

zzzzz Thu 20-Feb-14 23:10:00

Read "Send In the Idiots" instead. You will get far more out of it.

No one should be saying "you won't get XXXX dx". She should be telling you about Language/communication issues because that is what she IS trained to do

Sixtiesqueen Thu 20-Feb-14 23:16:06

Salt do diagnose autism if they are appropriately qualified.

zzzzz Thu 20-Feb-14 23:24:10

I think a developmental paediatrician and a multi-agency might be a little more robust. shock

I was under the impression that ONLY a medically trained Dr could diagnose (ie medical diagnosis) in the UK????

SingySongy Thu 20-Feb-14 23:55:17

I think there is some confusion following DSM-5. I heard about a little boy who was diagnosed recently with HFA. Parent was told that previous to DSM-5 he would have received a diagnosis of aspergers, but that the condition is no longer recognised. Aspergers and high functioning autism are two completely different things. Most confusing.

zzzzz Fri 21-Feb-14 00:14:56

" Aspergers and high functioning autism are two completely different things"

In what way?

I would characterise it as

Aspergers is Autism with average plus IQ and no language delay/disorder
HFA is Autism with average plus IQ and language delay/disorder

Lookslikerain Fri 21-Feb-14 07:59:03

Sorry to slightly hijack and possibly confuse further... My DS was dx in March last year. His dx was "autism", and the paed specifically said that they no longer separate out Aspergers, and that everyone on the spectrum gets the same dx of "autism". I assumed she was referring to the DSM. We're in Scotland though. Maybe that explains it?

She also went on to say that if we were reading online, we should look at stuff referring to "high functioning" or Aspergers, though DS has/had a speech delay/disorder so Aspergers would never have been right anyway. confused

PolterGoose Fri 21-Feb-14 08:31:11

SingySongy Fri 21-Feb-14 08:47:29

zzzzz - yes, it's the language delay/disorder that turns it into a totally different thing.
I don't understand how a child who would have received a diagnosis of aspergers (ie, no language delay/disorder), can instead receive a diagnosis of HFA (has language delay/disorder).

My understanding it that a child who would have received a diagnosis of aspergers, should now receive diagnosis of ASD, with abilities such as high IQ being noted.

I'd an SLT, so my personal focus is automatically the language aspect. I'm horrified that the two diagnosis seem to be conflated now by professionals who are making diagnosis.

SingySongy Fri 21-Feb-14 08:52:15

It should also be said, that under DSM-5, HFA has also been discontinued at a diagnostic term.

There's a huge amount of confusion.

PolterGoose Fri 21-Feb-14 08:54:53

SingySongy Fri 21-Feb-14 09:03:42

I think so too Polter.

My son just snuck in before DSM-5 with an Aspergers diagnosis from Daphne Keen. I'd be interested to find out if she's still using it - we did talk about the fact that it was soon to be discontinued with her.

I personally find the Aspergers description a really useful one - both in terms of "labelling" (I'm using that term advisedly) a particular set of characteristics, and in terms of offering functional support. If a child doesn't fit the criteria, there is still room to give a diagnosis of ASD, with a really clear set of descriptors.

I think when the assessment process is so long and complex, the least an individual with ASD (and their family) can expect at the end of that whole process, is an accurate diagnosis.

SingySongy Fri 21-Feb-14 09:06:28

And yes - the amazing power of the DSM-5 to just make Aspergers go POOF in a cloud of smoke!!! wink

greener2 Fri 21-Feb-14 09:34:12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now