Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Books about in/appropriate touching please

(16 Posts)
SilkStalkings Thu 20-Feb-14 08:35:36

Looking for something to reinforce about this and body ownership/boundaries as my ASD boys (8 and 5) are very close and share a bed. 5yr old, being a year or so behind other 5yr olds, is currently obsessed with willies [sigh] and can be very dominating.
Any suggestions book wise?
Thanks

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Thu 20-Feb-14 08:41:30

I haven't found a book that fit so I'll be really interested to lurk and see if anyone has a good one to recommend, if you don't mind. I looked for one when my eldest grabbed my friend! I had been working on making sure that you have permission to touch and I thought he'd understood. But he went to my friend as though to hug her, stopped, looked at me for permission, I thought he was going to give her a hug, she was happy to have a hug, we said yes and he gave her boobs a honk!

Luckily she found it really funny.

But I realised I had done a SHIT job of explaining and tried to find books. All I could see were ones about the body and I'd already got those.

NewBlueCoat Thu 20-Feb-14 09:21:42

Maybe work on the (is it NSPCC?) idea of PANTS? Am on phone so can't check, but it's a guide to which bits are ok for random others to touch (not ok, but ykwim) and which bits are always private.

It's the basic swimwear principle, isn't it? Anything covered by your swimwear is private and for you only, until ou grow up and can then give permission to others if you want to (might want to leave that bit out!).

Although don't ask me, I'm not doing so well at getting this idea across to dd1 hmm

PolterGoose Thu 20-Feb-14 09:34:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Thu 20-Feb-14 09:43:41

SilkStalkings Thu 20-Feb-14 09:58:23

Thanks folks.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Thu 20-Feb-14 10:36:35

Thanks for the link Polter. I was thinking that PANTS was an acronym and couldn't work out what body part 'S' stood for blush

PolterGoose Thu 20-Feb-14 11:15:05

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Thu 20-Feb-14 13:30:31

Penis
Arse
Nuts
Tits
grin

I was a little surprised at the terminology but they are covered by underwear wink

PolterGoose Thu 20-Feb-14 13:36:16

NewBlueCoat Thu 20-Feb-14 14:25:23

Thanks Polter, for the link. And grin, KeepOn- there could be something in that!

streakybacon Fri 21-Feb-14 10:07:21

Would social stories help? I have one on Personal Space and another on Private Body Parts. Can email them to you if you want them.

SilkStalkings Fri 21-Feb-14 14:00:33

Yes please streakybacon, have PM'd you.
Next, any ideas how to get 5yr old with PDA autism to stop chanting about Mummy's boobs flapping up and down?confused

PolterGoose Fri 21-Feb-14 14:01:18

streakybacon Fri 21-Feb-14 16:49:11

I think I'd incorporate that into private body parts as well. It's not just about inappropriate touching, but also what's ok to talk about.

I've emailed you the social stories.

This book is very good I said No

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now