Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does verbal dyspraxia only effect speech?

(6 Posts)
adrianna1 Fri 14-Feb-14 15:10:37

...... or does it also effect..social interaction, play, attention etc?

My SALT said that verbal dyspraxia should only effect speech...as my child is not socially motivated to sit in circle time, loses interest quickly and walks away to play with something interesting. He has not got verbal dyspraxia.

ouryve Fri 14-Feb-14 16:15:57

Not being able to communicate effectively and make yourself understood by your peers can be terribly de-motivating and I expect that the temptation to give up and walk away when you feel left out would be quite great.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 14-Feb-14 16:33:53

I agree with ouryve there can be circumstances where speech and language difficulties can impact on social skills especially when children become disheartened with not being understood.

However I also have experience of a multi disciplinery team getting so hung up on speech and language difficulties that they were prepared to overlook a considerable number of Asd type symptoms and the child concerned actually does now have a primary dx of Asd.

It can be very hard to unpick, sorry not much help.

Good luck smile

mrshunkermunker Sun 16-Feb-14 16:13:35

How old is your son? My eldest son has speech problems (possibly verbal dyspraxia)

mrshunkermunker Sun 16-Feb-14 16:30:31

Sorry, typing over a baby... and he was terrible at playgroup as soon as it ws time to sit down for songs or activities although he had very good concentration at other times ie reading books, looking at displays in a museum. He started to behave better when he started kindergarten at 3.5yo, but only in as much as he would wander off rather than make a big fuss. He's now 5 and has learnt to sit down with the rest of his class And behaves well.I'm sure the speech problem was at the root of his behaviour, as it made it difficult for him to join in and he felt excluded and cross. As he's matured he's better able toco trol himself

adrianna1 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:24:00

@mrshunkermun... thanks for replying..My son has just turned four... though in my situation they are focusing on my son's second re-assessment for autism..so unless that it's excluded..they are not really going to look into whether he has a speech impairment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now