Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Schools lightbulb moment

(10 Posts)
Skylar123 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:10:45

Ds school are aware I've applied for SA one of the things I had been asking for was some sort of lunchtime help for Ds that was different to what was already being provided ie going to medical room alone or playing with the reception children in the quieter smaller playground . Today they have written to me to say that they can offer a once a week lunch time social skills club for Ds as they think it will really help him with the unstructured time of day.
This is good as I asked before about this type of thing and they said they didn't have the resources .
They have also asked me to stop putting things in writing as it is often quicker to get a response via the telephone.
What do you think they are up to?

Skylar123 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:12:25

Maybe they are not up to anything and I have just become an untrustworthy old bat!

PolterGoose Fri 14-Feb-14 12:39:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bochead Fri 14-Feb-14 13:30:31

The single best bit of advice I ever got from another SN Mum was "never make a phone call when an email will do".

Years on - she was right!

StarlightMcKingsThree Fri 14-Feb-14 13:42:48

Fine. Phone them for a speedy response then put request and response in writing to the for clarification.

In the meantime, write to them and thank them for their idea and promise of speedy interventions.

StarlightMcKingsThree Fri 14-Feb-14 13:45:30

You know what though, you may as well be upfront and just say you prefer to do thing in writing for the evidence trail and so you can refer back to your log which is essential given the complexity of your child's needs.

Skylar123 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:52:15

Thanks for responses. I have been given a 15 min appointment with HT and Senco soon to discuss getting Ds back to school. I expect the one session a week lunch club is all they can offer as they say they are doing many things already

Handywoman Fri 14-Feb-14 16:51:26

'stop putting things in writing'

hmm sounds fishy to me in light of application for SA

I think they want to appear to be intervening out of the goodness of their own hearts, while simultaneously making sure you sweat blood and tears and scream for tiny morsels of help.

Cynical? Moi?

MothratheMighty Fri 14-Feb-14 16:54:56

grin

Oh yes, a papertrail is exactly what you need and what some schools fear.
It means you have ammunition, and evidence to calmly refute their arguments and to make the rewriting of history so much harder for them.
I've always backed up phone calls with an email, and my highlighted and organised lever-arch file was a thing of beauty and terror.

moondog Fri 14-Feb-14 20:37:10

'Stop putting things in writing'?????!!!!
That comment alone would ensure I put everything henceforth in writing. I Sn flabbergasted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now