Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help needed for proposed statement

(7 Posts)
philomena15 Fri 14-Feb-14 00:23:56

Hi,

We got proposed statement for my son. The Educational Psychologist was well aware of the on-going ABA home program and also she incorporated it in my son’s IEP program in the Nursery but she did not recommend ABA to the LA in her report during our son’s statuary assessment process.
Our LA did not mention any single word about ABA in the proposed statement in part 3. They have mentioned that my son is on ABA program from May '13 and doing significant progress in the initial intro paragraph of part 2 of the statement. They did not even provide one to one support even though my son is diagnosed with ASD along with associated learning difficulties. Though my son is having lots of difficulties in learning, report talks more about his good progress but did not mention it is because of ABA. No support on OT and Speech therapy.
We are very much depressed on the proposed statement; we need to contact LA officer within 15 days to explain our view on the statement.
It will be great help if the members give some guide on how to proceed from this status. Do we need to see a lawyer before the meeting or after we get a final statement.
Thanks in advance

BigBird69 Fri 14-Feb-14 07:59:21

Hiya, when our sons draft statement arrived it wasn't worth the paper it was written on even though there was masses of supporting evidence saying what was required. They try it on!! I went though all the evidence with a highlighter and wrote in saying what I wanted included documenting each paragraph of evidence which backed it up. Amazingly they agreed to it all ( the original was awful!) don't despair! You could ask the parent partnership. Bit my experience was they tend to be on the LA side and if I'd have listened to them I wouldn't have for the half of it! Good luck!

LadyKooKoo Fri 14-Feb-14 16:14:40

How old is he. Statements are being abolished from September and will be replaced with the EHCP (Education, Health & Care Plan) so if he is not starting school until September 2015 then the statement would be irrelevent anyway.

everydayaschoolday Fri 14-Feb-14 17:38:18

LadyKooKoo when the Statements are abolished in (this?) sep, does that mean all issued statements become null and void, and are re-issued as an EHCP? Or is it that issued statements 'stand' but all new requests will go to EHCP? grateful for any further detail as I've not seen much on the new EHCP. cheers.

LadyKooKoo Fri 14-Feb-14 19:11:21

Yes, this September. All statements will be void and children/young people will be transferred to the EHCP. The EHCP will also cover up to age 25 which is different to what currently stands. Obviously the transfer will take time but no new statements will be issued. My DD is part of a pilot for the EHCP so have gone to so many conferences/workshops/meetings with the 'professionals' about them lately and they all say how much better it is (from what I have seen, I totally agree). Several councils have already stopped doing statements and every new application is put through as an EHCP.

everydayaschoolday Fri 14-Feb-14 19:22:45

Oh thanks for that. I'll ask our caseworker what the plans are for our county council as we're due an annual review in Sep 14. flowers

good luck for your DD on the pilot scheme. smile

everydayaschoolday Fri 14-Feb-14 19:26:08

apologies OP for thread de-rail blush. Sorry your draft statement doesn't meet your needs; hopefully someone with experience of tackling this will be along shortly xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now