Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Getting support from social services

(75 Posts)
Edenviolet Thu 13-Feb-14 23:27:55

Our sw has informed us that we fall into a grey area where neither the cwd team or child in need team will take our case on so she has to close our case as ss cannot offer support.

How do I appeal this and access some help and support for my dcs?


claw2 Thu 13-Feb-14 23:37:27

Hi Hedgehog, have you had a carers assessment? and have the children you need respite for had a care assessment?

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 13-Feb-14 23:40:33

What support do you need?

Edenviolet Thu 13-Feb-14 23:53:13

No the sw just had a caf referral and did a TAF meeting but it all came to nothing as she couldn't get any team to take us.

I was hoping to have a support worker, help with a statement for dd2, some respite if possible, help to learn to drive possibly.

Edenviolet Thu 13-Feb-14 23:55:41

No assessments done, can I request sw does them? She's going to close our case soon.

claw2 Thu 13-Feb-14 23:56:05

There isnt a grey area. You either meet the criteria or you dont. LA's have a eligibility criteria, if they have refused to assess ask for the reasons for this decision in writing and a copy of their criteria.

Once you have these, you can complain, if you don't agree with it.

claw2 Fri 14-Feb-14 00:16:38

But by all means first request an assessment from the team dealing with disabilities in your borough in writing

claw2 Fri 14-Feb-14 00:17:59

First step is to request an assessment, before you complain about not receiving an assessment.

claw2 Fri 14-Feb-14 00:23:47

OneInEight Fri 14-Feb-14 06:13:37

In a not too dissimilar situation, although very different problems, a letter to the director of children's services copied into our MP did the trick. Like you everyone thought some-one else should be helping and it was not till we went on high that the disabilities team took us on having refused six months prior.

StarlightMcKingsThree Fri 14-Feb-14 07:00:02

For help with a statement you can contact Parent Partnership where you live. IPSEA also can help. Or often local charities provide a service where you can get free 10 hours legal advice. Write to Social a services and ask them for a list of local charities that provide support for families.

For respite, contact Homestart and self-refer. For driving lessons look at the Caudwell Trust.

StarlightMcKingsThree Fri 14-Feb-14 07:00:45

Sorry, meant Family Fund. But also, local charities might help too.

PolterGoose Fri 14-Feb-14 11:26:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BrianTheMole Fri 14-Feb-14 11:48:32

Often there are gray areas claw. Hedgehog, you need to make a complaint. You will probably be able to do this on line. This will get escalated and someone higher will decide what team will take the case, if they think you are eligible but fall in the grey area. At the same time contact your mp and ask them to advocate on your behalf.

StarlightMcKingsThree Fri 14-Feb-14 15:12:59

I'm not sure about the grey areas thing. IMO everyone is told they are in it.

StarlightMcKingsThree Fri 14-Feb-14 15:13:24

I'm not sure about the grey areas thing. IMO and IME everyone is told they are in it.

claw2 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:35:58

Brian, I wouldn't agree, 'Grey areas' is code for being fobbed off, IMO. There is a criteria, you either meet it or you don't, its as simple as that.

If you don't then you need to be given written reasons why you don't and a copy of the criteria used to decide, so you can appeal it. However before you can complain, you need to first request it. Red tape and bollox, again IMO, however there is a 'system' and procedures and you have to follow the 'system' in order to get anywhere.

ashtrayheart Fri 14-Feb-14 20:02:27

All the main budget is tied up in child protection. Sw only got involved when my dd was placing herself at serious risk and I couldn't have her home.
Family fund for driving lessons and you won't get a sw to help with a statement, parent partnership and ipsea are there for that. Good luck!

BrianTheMole Sat 15-Feb-14 14:53:00

Brian, I wouldn't agree, 'Grey areas' is code for being fobbed off, IMO. There is a criteria, you either meet it or you don't, its as simple as that.

Sorry but you're wrong. I'm a social worker and I have seen this happen quite a few times. A complaint means it gets escalated and someone higher up makes the decision on what team will do the assessment. I've often ended up assessing that case myself. The problem is when it stays at team level, the teams just say that people don't meet their criteria and close it. Thats why it needs to be taken higher. Our council even have a written policy on what to do if people fall in the grey area, and the steps that need to be taken.

Oblomov Sat 15-Feb-14 18:23:55

In My personal opinion, diabetic children don't need a statement.
I don't agree that , generally, type 1 diabetics, should be statemented.

Perhaps, in VERY exceptional circumstances.

What they need is a very good, supportive school. And if you have that, you probably won't need a statement.

I am a type 1 diabetic. Since the age of 1. And I have been on a pump, for the last 10 years.

Op, there are some fab diabetics on MN, who can assist you, in many ways.

You transferred from one hospital, to another, because the care was not good. Is it better where you are? Is the consultant looking after you and your dd?

Edenviolet Sat 15-Feb-14 19:10:59

We have not been seen at new hospital yet, waiting for appointment.

Dd2 has other problems too, ehlers danlos syndrome and coeliacs as well so needs a huge amount of supervision and help. Diabetes currently very uncontrolled we are on list for a pump and are hoping once coeliacs is sorted out things may improve.

I do feel dd will need 1:1 support at school.

nennypops Sun 16-Feb-14 10:05:00

Sounds to me as if your child definitely meets the criteria for being a 'child in need'. That means that under section 17 Children's Act 1989 social services have no choice whether to do an assessment. Write to them formally asking for a core assessment under that section, and if they still won't do it contact a solicitor specialising in community care law. You should bet legal aid in dd's name.

RightRoyalPainInTheArse Sun 16-Feb-14 12:55:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

claw2 Mon 17-Feb-14 10:34:35

Brianthemole You cant complain about something you haven't requested in the first place

BrianTheMole Mon 17-Feb-14 10:45:55

Yep claw, they haven't offered her an assessment, they've told her she falls in the gray area and have closed it / in the process of closing it. Without offering an assessment. Thats what the complaint is for. To get allocated to a team for an assessment. confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: