Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Retained reflex therapy - encouragement please...

(12 Posts)
nutty1966 Tue 11-Feb-14 12:09:42

We've just started the journey of retained reflex therapy RRT (and accompanying bits including OMEGA3, VT, supplements) for DS (age 7) and DD (9years) who have both been diagnosed as "dyslexic". We live in Switzerland and will be traveling to London once a quarter for sessions with our Behavioural Optometrist. I would LOVE to be able to see a BO weekly for check-ins on RRT and VT but there is no such thing as a Behavioural Opt in Switzerland (sigh).

So, I'm really just hoping to hear encouraging words from any who have been through the programmes. There are so many threads dating back a few years with really encouraging progress from various mumsnetters but no much these days. I'd adore updates from Indigo or others about where their DCs stand today... and any pointers for success. tx much.

salondon Tue 11-Feb-14 12:13:39

nutty - I am very very seriously looking into this. We have global developmental delays and ASD.

Which BO are you using?

for RRT - I am looking into the option of MNRI. Its online etc so not very easy.. Who are you using?

Pls PM me if you are happy to share contact details etc and we can chat

jussi Tue 11-Feb-14 12:33:34

If you go to BABO (British association of behavioural optometrists) you should be able to find one in your area. (That's how I found mine).

nutty1966 Tue 11-Feb-14 12:45:08

Hi salondon, I've sent you a PM. we're using Smita Trivedi in Wood Green. We're still very early with the programme but she is really lovely. Passionate and flexible and really cares about what she's doing - and has been doing it for ages yet very actively picking up all the new therapies that seem to bring it all together.

MNRI looks good but expensive!! Have you looked into Tinsley House clinic? Many mums seem to have been very happy with results. I like his approach (lots of books published) and have been employing his exercises to stimulate vestibular as well as his food plan.

mrsbaffled Tue 11-Feb-14 12:58:34

DS1 did VT for eye tracking through a BO in Milton Keynes. RRT was the first part of the therapy. We did 4 months of fortnightly sessions and daily exercises. Just the RRT fixed his tracking problem.

It also fixed his fidgettyness.

The best money we have spent IMHO.

nutty1966 Tue 11-Feb-14 13:03:46

Thanks mrsbaffled. Do you remember which RRT(s) you worked on? ATNR? Did you see a knock-on effect in other areas apart from vision? Say with handwriting or other skills?

mrsbaffled Tue 11-Feb-14 15:33:20

Will get back to you on which we did.
No real improvement in handwriting immediately....he has fine motor dyspraxia, but it is almost as good as his peers now two years on. Reading age jumped almost immediately.
The exercises really improved his gross motor skills, so he stopped falling over all the time.

mrsbaffled Tue 11-Feb-14 15:45:17

Moro went quickly.
Spinal galant was causing lots of fidgettyness and took longer to go.
TLR took the longest to go
STNR

There were lots of other exercises working on gross motor skills like crawling in different ways, skipping etc. Also some Sensory Integration exercises.

nutty1966 Wed 12-Feb-14 05:51:25

Thanks mrsbaffled, very helpful. I just did my skype call with our BO and we've moved to the next level!

DD is integrating ATNR and Moro and is falling alseep easily for the first time in nine years!!!

Strangely, DS's once a week bed wetting has escalated to every night. BO assures be that this is because the brain is v active integrating Moro and TLR and once we start spinal galant dry nights will appear!

Helpmegod Wed 12-Feb-14 10:14:42

Hello . We are using an online program called brain highways . Worth checking out

nutty1966 Wed 12-Feb-14 14:19:59

Thanks Helpme. I've seen their stuff..American lady w teaching background. I would definitely have considered if I were local to them but hadn't though about doing it online. Can you give a sense of price range?

Helpmegod Wed 12-Feb-14 21:42:59

They cost about 400 dollars for 1 module and the program has two modules . There is plenty of info on their website .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now