Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

First visit from Educational Psychologist; advice needed please.

(7 Posts)
sewingandcakes Sun 09-Feb-14 22:08:31

Ds, 8, is finally going to be seen by an EP this Wednesday at school. He has had various appointments with SALT, and a developmental assessment with a community paediatrician; no diagnosis as yet though, just queried ADHD/social communication disorder.

I'm new to all this (even though ds has had problems at school for the last 3+ years), and I don't know what the EP actually does; do they suggest ways that school can support him, or do they actually give a diagnosis?

I think that if I am aware of their role, and what they might be looking at during this meeting, then I can go armed with relevant questions for them when they see me following their observation. It's taken so long to get to this point, and I don't want to miss this opportunity, so if anyone could help me out a bit it would be fantastic.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 09-Feb-14 22:12:40

EP can only advise on educational needs; they cannot make any sort of diagnosis. They often work for and under the auspices of the LEA.

Do ask this person about statements as well.

sewingandcakes Sun 09-Feb-14 22:37:00

Ok thanks for that. From what the school Sendco told me , the EPs get together to decide which children warrant their involvement, so I'm hoping that this visit indicates that they've decided to get involved.

As far as a diagnosis goes, I guess I just keep in down the route of community paediatrician then? He's due to go back there in March.

sbutt78 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:22:31

Hi, we had our 1st visit from the EP last week (my son is 8)... I was hoping she would make a diagnosis but she didn't. She advised the SENCO on what to do in the class and basically gave advise. Not a lot more than what the behaviour support from CAMHS was already giving.

Can I ask what a community paediatrician is? Ive been to the doctors twice now and they keep referring me to CAMHS.


AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 10-Feb-14 12:41:18


EPs cannot make any sort of medical diagnosis; what these people do is make recommendations re additional educational needs.

If you feel that your son's needs are not currently being met I would suggest you now apply for a Statement of special needs from the LEA.

CAMHS are seen first of all in terms of referral in some areas of the country, in other areas referral is made to a community paed or developmental paed.

sbutt78 Mon 10-Feb-14 14:54:47

thank you attila

sewingandcakes Mon 10-Feb-14 16:23:19

Sbutt78 our GP referred ds to CAMHS first, who then transferred him to the paediatrician without seeing him. Maybe if you ask, your GP would refer your son to the paediatrician as you've already been down the CAMHS route?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: