Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

joint attention question.

(9 Posts)
chocnomore Sun 09-Feb-14 20:51:38

I usually post about Dd1 (autism) but start to notice things with Dd2 (3) as well (mainly control, inflexibility and sensory issues).

this weekI noticed (no idea why I did not realise this sooner) that she actually never looks back at me to double check if I am looking at something if she is pointing at something. is this very unusual? I remember that Salt & paed asked about this during the assessments for Dd1. hmm

adrianna1 Sun 09-Feb-14 22:34:12

Ummmm….. she could have a delay????

But I know this is one of the important things they look out for when assessing autism or someone who has a speech delay.

adrianna1 Sun 09-Feb-14 22:36:14

When she points to something. Have you ever waited…. lets say 4 mins to see if she looks back at you.

chocnomore Mon 10-Feb-14 03:22:35

I never did. Dd1 has asd and was so very obvious. delays in all areas. Dd2 by contrast did everything early. amazing speech and language. so i never payed attrntion to joint attention as I thought she is fine.

btw, you don't have to have speech delay to get an asd dx. one of the criteria for AS is that speech/language is not delayed asaik.

zzzzz Mon 10-Feb-14 10:11:53

Ds1 is hugely language disordered and delayed. He will no doubt get a dx of HFA. He does look to check I'm watching so I don't think it's definitive at all.

adrianna1 Mon 10-Feb-14 11:02:26

There are some kids with autism have no delays..but obviously have the delays with social etc.

I didn't mean that if you have a speech delay, you have autism. I just meant that if a child has a delay in speech ( for an example) they would look into to see if they communicate in other ways…or see if their social communication skills ..i.e. joint attention… is developing. Delayed in social skills, is not really a worry..it is but not so much..but if it's disorder then it really is.

adrianna1 Mon 10-Feb-14 11:09:16

Sorry meant if social skills were impaired it is a worry.

Joint attention, is quite important as it is one of the stepping stones to communication. I know when the assess kids with autism they look out for things like this.

chocnomore Mon 10-Feb-14 11:52:53

zzzzz that is interesting. dd1(severe asd) always looks back and checks too. But I wondered if the absence of it is of significance.

zzzzz Mon 10-Feb-14 14:30:46

I find both the "joint attention" thing and the "imaginative play" thing SO open to interpretation that it reallyhas very little scientific merit IMO. It is tied in with the whole Theory of Mind idea, which I think is pretty lame too.

The root of my child's problems is communication, predominantly the interpretation of verbal communication. Many people would see ds1s overall deficit as huge. I've no idea if other children with ASD are the same (I would be surprised if a large number of them weren't), but it matters very little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now