Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help me plan SEN family activities at art gallery

(8 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Sun 09-Feb-14 11:31:13

Hi, I am planning a family event at an art gallery, and would like it to be suitable for SEN. Please could anyone advise on what you'd really like to see at a family event in a contemporary art gallery? Or examples of really good family events you've been to? The event as a whole will offer opportunities to make things and experiment with different art activities. Thanks so much!

autumnsmum Sun 09-Feb-14 12:37:03

Lovely idea ! Some big coloured blocks could be good and I know it sounds silly but no people in masks!

MothratheMighty Sun 09-Feb-14 12:39:36

Things to manipulate and fiddle with, including natural materials.
No masks, no babbling instructions and as many aware helpers as you can grab.

autumnsmum Sun 09-Feb-14 12:54:22

London zoo run a brilliant sen children's day . I think what your doing is great

AgnesDiPesto Sun 09-Feb-14 16:48:17

Some museums do quiet sessions for children with autism or sensory difficulties eg science museum where they open early before general visitors. So a early bird or sunset slot (or both)when the gallery is shut to general public and it's quieter (parents are also more likely to take children whose behaviour can be unpredictable) if they know they will be in friendly company if their child has a meltdown). Providing a quiet / chill out area generally to go to can be helpful. Eureka in Halifax do a scheme where you are provided with an extra person / helper you can book which can be useful if there is mix of disabled child+siblings.

zzzzz Sun 09-Feb-14 18:56:34

Toilets with no hand driers or in our case that we can go into with ds.

Mine loves mixing colours, so jars you can shake, glop you can mix, powder you can blend, lights? are all great.

Space without echo helps.

Places to sit down on the floor....

Sonicfif Sun 09-Feb-14 21:12:03

For children in wheelchairs, it makes a real difference if hands on activities are designed so they can access them front on rather than sideways. So at a suitable height with where possible space to put wheelchairs under any tables. Also any look through things should have wheelchair height options too.

ThePartyArtist Mon 10-Feb-14 10:12:20

Thank you everyone, this is all really helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now