Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OCD bleeding hands

(12 Posts)
Jerbil Sun 09-Feb-14 06:31:59

Ds1 is 8 years old. He has ASD and huge sensory issues. He has always had an issue with people touching his things and the last week he has been coming home and getting straight into the bath (unheard of previously) because people are touching him. He says they're not doing it on purpose, just passing by him. But he then said he's been having to wash his hands loads for the same reason. When playing on his xbox he also frequently goes to wash his hands as he doesn't like the feel when his hands are sweaty. The thing is now the back of his hands feel like sandpaper, they are red cracked and bleeding. Just wondered if anyone has any advice? I am restricted to putting cream on when he's asleep due to his sensory issues and he's unlikely to wear gloves for the same reason.

PolterGoose Sun 09-Feb-14 08:08:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Sun 09-Feb-14 08:08:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLightPassenger Sun 09-Feb-14 09:57:56

Does he use bar soap or liquid soap? I find bar soap less drying as its harder to use too much in one go. If you have a sympathetic GP or other health professional you would see, ask them for advice re:handcare and for what to do if this OCD behaviour persists.

manyshadesofblack Sun 09-Feb-14 10:21:46

My ds has this on the back of hands and also his wrists. I put a very thick layer of epaderm cream on at night and then cover with a wrist/sweat band. I have quite long wrist bands that can be pulled over his hand. The very thick layer of epaderm every night definitely helps. I then put epaderm on as often as I can throughout the day and give him some in a little jar in his school bag. He uses e45 hand wash at home and used it at nursery too. But now he is at school I am not sure what to do. His hands are bad again so I will have to speak to the school about it.

If it is really bad or infected your gp will be able
to prescribe a cream that should help clear it up. But the creams have never helped Ds. Ds had anti biotic cream for impetigo on his wrists last year and also has steroid cream.

What about trying oil in the bath water? You can get oil on prescription or I put coconut oil in ds's bath.

Also, make sure he dries his hands properly and the cuffs of jumpers and jackets are not wet after he has washed his hands.

manyshadesofblack Sun 09-Feb-14 10:26:59

sorry, just read your op again and see you can't put cream on at night. I think the e45 hand wash seems quite good and the bath oil definitely makes the water less drying. even washing hands with an emollient cream until they are better might help. It can take a while to clear these things up in my experience with ds. good luck.

NoHaudinMaWheest Sun 09-Feb-14 14:13:54

Hi my ds has had severe OCD for years. His hands only really recovered when he started to wear gloves and therefore needed to wash his hands less often. But if your ds can't wear gloves that doesn't help.

Emollient handwash and bath stuff should help. You ought to be able to get them on prescription but if not Boots own make 'Dermacare' is much cheaper than E45 and does the same.

Aqueous cream is also cheaper than E45 for when you can get it on ds's hands. My ds is happy to use it on the rest of his body which is very dry and itching and occasionally bleeds due to the vast amount of shower gel he uses.

zzzzz Sun 09-Feb-14 15:01:13

Teach him again how to wash and RINSE as top of hands is usually soap left on. Wash all his jumpers and coats because they will have been impregnated with skin stripper school liquid soap by now.

My turn around is camelia oil, but it is scary expensive (£30 ish a bottle). It does last literally years but I think if you don't know if it suits you that's not particularly helpful.

Aqueous cream is a good liquid soap.

Jerbil Mon 10-Feb-14 00:21:32

Thanks all for advice. Today has been nothing short of terrible. I hate to see him like this. And it's not fair on DS2 either as he's one of DS1s triggers! At one point today DS1 refused to go upstairs as DS2 had been on the stairs. dS2 then gets upset cos he thinks his brother doesn't love him. :-( then I look at poor DS1 and feel for him!

NoHaudinMaWheest Mon 10-Feb-14 10:56:30

OCD is so hard especially when it impacts on other dcs.
Are you getting any help with his OCD? Although it often accompanies ASD it doesn't always and there is treatment available.

Jerbil Mon 10-Feb-14 22:05:05

Ds1 has been under CAMHS since I requested HV referred him when he was 4. Today I was told by our GP she would've referred today except he already has that support. I meet with SALT tomorrow and Psychology will meet with them and discuss. As to what they will suggest I am not sure. I've been told he's too young for CBT for other issues in the past. What help is available?

Have to say his school has been amazing today. he's now allowed to sit on a chair when all the other kids are sat on the carpet, and allowed to sit at the back whenever he wants time by himself. Not always been that way; this is a massive turnaround.

NoHaudinMaWheest Tue 11-Feb-14 13:04:23

CBT is the treatment of choice for OCD. Ds found the cognitive bit hard because of his AS but made some progress just focusing on behaviour. He was 8 when the OCD began and they would have tried CBT then but he wouldn't talk to the psychologist at all. Now he is 17 we are going to have another go at the cognitive bit.

He has been on medication since he was 10 and while not a cure it has definitely helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now