Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Swimming - ASD

(6 Posts)
dontknowwhat2callmyself Fri 07-Feb-14 21:38:45

DD has had about 12 swimming lessons and has made zero progress sad - absolutely none at all. She doesn't seem to get the movements right, eg doesn't like taking her feet off the bottom without support - she will walk a width with her front bent over so it can look like she's swimming but she's not taking her legs off the bottom of the pool. hmm.

Her instructor might be able to fit her in for 1-1 sessions but I'm wondering if it's worth continuing or should we just take a break. DD loves it by the way.

Does anyone have any positive experiences or tips I can use if I tried to teach her a bit myself? Thanks x

Bilberry Fri 07-Feb-14 21:58:00

We have 1-1 sessions for my DS and I would recommend them. All my children have made so much more progress that way. The individual attention means lessons are focused purely on them and their difficulties. She won't be allowed to just walk across the pool (unless that is what they want her to do). Having said that, to begin with there is a lot of work on water confidence which can seem quite slow.

dontknowwhat2callmyself Fri 07-Feb-14 22:17:27

Thanks Bilberry - it's really encouraging to hear that your DS has made progress with 1-1. I was thinking I could do some activities in the bath to help more with confidence. I was feeling very down in the dumps (although I know in the grand scheme of things swimming is not that important) it's just upsetting because DD does enjoy it but really isn't getting it - I think the answer is 1:1 which is what I wanted to do in the first place and had her name down on a couple of lists but no one ever got back to us so I decided to bite the bullet and go for the group lessons. Thanks for posting x

ShoeWhore Fri 07-Feb-14 22:24:15

My friend's son started out having 1-1 lessons and recently has successfully joined a group lesson (not something he would have been able to do before).

bochead Fri 07-Feb-14 22:57:17

Could you take her yourself once a week to increase her confidence levels.? Ideally take her once a day for the 1/2 term week - ask at the pool for the quietest time of day (be prepared to get up early!).

Your sessions won't be about "swimming" but just about increasing her confidence in the water. At home practice blowing bubbles out with her face underwater in the bath. Then go repeat this in the pool so that it becomes second nature for exhale with a face in the water to blow bubbles. Don't expect her to "get it" first time out.

Most babies do this naturally and knowing you aren't gonna end up swallowing half the pool if you take your feet off the bottom makes such a massive difference to the progress of all beginners. Don't even bother to ask her to take her feet off the bottom when you take her, unless she asks you iyswim. Most beginners prefer to wear goggles to start with, and that is totally fine, even in the bath.

THEN pay for 1:1 lessons, she can work out how to move her arms and legs, float and all that technical stuffwink

I stopped DS's lessons when I realised he'd got as far as he could for the time being without more physical therapy. I just take him myself to maintain his water confidence at the moment.

I used to teach swimming about 20 years agoblush and the confident bubble blowers were ALWAYS the ones who turned out to be good, strong swimmers in the end, no matter their starting point initially.

Don't forget to ask your local pool if there are discounts for those on DLA. In my old area it meant my "carers" fee was just £1 rather than the full adult price to take DS.

dontknowwhat2callmyself Sat 08-Feb-14 21:17:51

Shoe - yes 1:1 is the way to go I think

Bochead - I wouldn't be able to take her regularly myself but we are going away during half term and there will be the chance to go swimming most days so I'm hoping this will increase her confidence.

Thank you for the tip about blowing bubbles that is something I can certainly work on everyday at home in the bath. smile.

I am feeling happier today x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now