Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School is going to apply for a statement for ds!

(6 Posts)
Levantine Fri 07-Feb-14 18:47:55

shock shock

We have a new head. DH and I went to see her today to generally introduce ourselves and to explain out worries about ds's aggression, mental health and possibility that he might decide to stop going to school.

His school is very gentle but far too relaxed imo and have always said he doesn't need a statement.

New head was a bit wtf at some of the stuff that had been going on and said he would definitely get a statement in her old borough and that she would start the process. So I am really really relieved that someone is taking his difficulties seriously, but also a bit sad again that his difficulties are as severe as they are. Ds is the classic no one thinks he is autistic because he is sociable and makes eye contact. Aaaargh. Such a strange place to be, with a child with such invisible disability.

Also, we are in a pathfinder borough. What do I need to know? Is it even possible to get a statement there?

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Feb-14 19:43:43

Sounds good, it's always horrible to have your concerns confirmed no matter how much you already know they are struggling. For me it's like a fresh kick in the teeth each time.

But the oppersite is worse as our kids are sn whatever people say. For it to be dismissed is not making it go away

Skylar123 Fri 07-Feb-14 21:09:07

good luck with getting the help your Ds deserves . It's always harder when they mask their difficulties or seem to be coping when you know they are not, it's not easy for a child with such an invisible disability. Glad your new head is on board and listening.

Borka Fri 07-Feb-14 21:35:54

That sounds really positive, and even if your DS doesn't get a statement at least he's likely to get better support with the new head.

Can I pm you to ask what school it is? I think I'm in the same area as you & things aren't going at all well with the school my DS is at, so I'm wondering if there are any better alternatives.

Levantine Fri 07-Feb-14 22:02:36

Of course Borka, I think I had clocked that you are near us

Borka Fri 07-Feb-14 22:25:09

Great, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now