Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My DD is hitting - please help

(7 Posts)
PrinceRogersNelson Fri 07-Feb-14 18:25:02

My DD is in reception and has dyspraxia, verbal dyspraxia and disordered speech and delayed attention and concentration. We are in the process of getting her statement sorted.

As the school term goes on she is getting more and upset, shouty and now hitting.

I picked her up from school yesterday to be told that she was repeatedly hitting and had hit the TA. I didn't pick her up today but there is a note in her home school book that 'she had to go on the thinking chair as she is repeatedly hitting other children and was stabbing another child with a pencil'.

She is difficult at home too. She hit her Dad this morning when he was trying to get her dressed. She would happily hit her brother too.

I don't know what to do. I am really upset by this.

It is not fair on DD, her teachers or the other children. DD is clearly not coping and I don't know how to help her. I need to go and have a meeting with school, but what do I say?

Can people tell me strategies that have been used at home and at school that helped?

I am close to tears about this. It is just one thing after another and I am tired. I am so bloody tired of everyday being a battle and seeing my little girl sinking and becoming a child that no one wants to be around as she is getting more and more unpleasant. It is awful to say but true. And I need to help her.

PolterGoose Fri 07-Feb-14 18:34:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Fri 07-Feb-14 18:36:58

PrinceRogersNelson Fri 07-Feb-14 18:38:06

Thank you.
I have just written a rather shirty email to the SENCO and HT asking more a meeting and saying that it is not acceptable to DD to be able to struggle like this and that the other children need to be kept safe. Her stress levels are clearly high and how can she be expected to learn if she is this stressed.

She has OT involvement but they don't agree with sensory issues and do not look at it and will not do anything about it.

So - I have called a private OT who will come to home and school to look at the situation and try and help.

Thank you for the reply. I am so worn out.

PrinceRogersNelson Fri 07-Feb-14 18:38:41

I have heard of the book and need to order it.
I will do it now and stop procrastinating.

Levantine Fri 07-Feb-14 18:41:59

Private OT sounds like a very good idea. I'm sorry you are going through this, it is is SO hard. My DS was very aggressive in reception. It will get better with the right support.

PolterGoose Fri 07-Feb-14 18:43:10

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now