Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Possible move to an ASD base?

(4 Posts)
dietstartstmoz Fri 07-Feb-14 09:17:11

DS2 aged 6 has HFA, and full support in a mainstream primary. He has made academic progress but is significantly affected by his ASD, and is struggling in the classroom setting, no social skills, unable to interact with peers, little understanding of rules etc. The Autism teachers and Ed Psych are recommending he is assessed for the ASD base in our borough. Nothing will happen until after half term and the I guess we go and have a look, but I have so much going round in my head, I need some advice to help me think straight. I have started to make a list of questions but what questions should I be asking; of the Ed Psych/Autism support etc? And also of the base? So far I have;

What are the benefits of his moving there?
What support will he get with transition if he moves?
What do we tell him? How do we tell him he has ASD?
Does the base follow any early intervention therapies e.g. ABA
What if it doesn't work out?

I just feel like I need a crystal ball, I know in principle it sounds great but what if it isn't? What should we be looking for?
Any advice would be great as we have a meeting next week.
Thanks

PolterGoose Fri 07-Feb-14 09:38:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dietstartstmoz Fri 07-Feb-14 09:45:35

Thanks Polter, I hadn't thought of discipline/sanctions. We obviously need to tell him but he was dx at 3 and had very little language then. We just need to handle it in the right way. I know very little about the base so am very keen to have a look but he has to have an assessment from the teacher and ed psych over the base before they say if he meets their criteria.

autumnsmum Fri 07-Feb-14 10:32:06

Hi I looked at a couple of Bases for dd2 .I would agree with everything polter has said and at this point I wouldn't worry to much about Aba . I would ask how much time your son will spend in the base and how much time in the mainstream classroom . I would also ask how they decide how much time they spend in each . Finally investigTe what activities they do in the base . Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now