Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Carol Gray Social Stories

(11 Posts)
Handywoman Thu 06-Feb-14 21:17:35

Just been leant this book today, I think it looks fab! dd2 and I read one about 'feeling comfortable' and she loved it.

Just wondered if anyone else here has used it for their dc?

moondog Thu 06-Feb-14 21:41:21

Love Carol Gray.
She is the business. A woman of great integrity and clarity of thought.
This is her website
A lot of people claim to write Social Stories but she is the only one worth listening to.
They also follow a very specific protocol.

Handywoman Thu 06-Feb-14 21:47:52

Yes I've been reading her rules for creating social stories. It is an art form!!

The stories seemed to 'speak' to my dd2. I borrowed from my fabby SALT. When I opened it I had a Eureka moment!

Think I may purchase

LilTreacle Fri 07-Feb-14 12:07:10

like her stuff. the latest edition of her book has a cd of the stories within the book so you can personalise, amend and edit, and add pictures so you know you are getting it right structure-wise when you start out.

signandsingcarols Sat 08-Feb-14 07:50:12

another 'like' here, (sign waves at moondog) I bought the book too, although when I was explaining to the school how I have been using scripts with ds (ASD) so he can practice social interactions the HT did say "oh yes, we call them social stories" shock shock ARGH!

have since said to DS's (fab) SLT do be aware that if this school say they are using social stories with DS, or any of the other kids they are likely to talking out of their bottoms sad

Can see me putting my Lecturer skills to good use and offering some free 'social skills' training to the school.. (Ie helping them work through the book, grin )

moondog Sat 08-Feb-14 11:00:23

Go for it SignandSing! <waves back>
Best way to confront ineptitude is to lead by example.

Be the change you want to see!

Handywoman Sat 08-Feb-14 11:36:05

Am feeling SO positive about this book. I have the one with the editable CD and now have stepping stones for approx the next YEAR!!!!!!

I feel the stories will also help her older sister to develop an understanding of her sister and the nature of her struggles.

My laminator will short be going like the clappers smile

PrinceRogersNelson Sat 08-Feb-14 12:08:19

Can you tell me what the stories are about? Wondering if it could help my DD. thanks

moondog Sat 08-Feb-14 12:17:33

Go to the website I linked to, Prince.

PrinceRogersNelson Sat 08-Feb-14 13:09:48

Thanks.

MothratheMighty Sat 08-Feb-14 13:12:16

Yes, I found them very useful for my DS moondog, and bought a copy of the book for the MS secondary SN dept too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now