Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Lefthanded AS DC with illegible handwriting - pen suggestion?

(17 Posts)
sergeantmajor Thu 06-Feb-14 18:59:32

Just that. Can't read a word my 12 yo writes. Shame cos it's usually worth reading. Any suggestions of good pens, maybe a fountain pen? (He pours contempt on those curved Stabilo pens btw). Thanks.

ThreeBeeOneGee Thu 06-Feb-14 19:06:56

Haha! I came on the thread to recommend the Stabilo, then read your whole post. grin

I've bought (LH, AS, nearly 12 y old) DS2 a left-nibbed Lamy Safari. He uses it if I remind him, but always defaults back to the Stabilo. If he has his way, he'll probably be writing his GCSE papers with a Stabilo.

The only effective solution we have found is for him to type his h/w. Thankfully, the junior school taught him to touch type.

ouryve Thu 06-Feb-14 19:14:58

I bought DS1 one of those stabilo pens (right handed) and he refuses to touch it!

If you go for a fountain pen, then make sure it has a nice short nib. Those school ones with the long nibs often scratch too much for left handers, as they get pushed, rather than pulled. You can get fountain pens with a curved nib for left handers, but it's trial and error whether they help, depending on writing style. You also need to be away or his hand is - if he writes so he is brushing over what he has just written then he will smudge it.

Rollerball pens in general can be problematic, since us left handers sometimes don't hold a pen at the correct angle for the nib to make proper contact with the paper.

Personally, I prefer a good old bic biro smile

PolterGoose Thu 06-Feb-14 19:26:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 06-Feb-14 20:12:14

Dd3 has recently swapped to a Jet Stream pen which is smudge free and has a soft rubber grip.

She stopped using her stabilo pen and said she didnt like it, I think it stood out too much.

The Jetstream is subtle and just like any other pen.

I have a Schneider Slider memo that I love but havent managed to find another one.

Hope you find something.

PolterGoose Thu 06-Feb-14 20:17:05

figgypuddings Thu 06-Feb-14 20:18:11

Left handed pens I bought things from here for my ds and dh. Saws, scissors and all sorts of things which never occurred to me.

The left handed pens really helped with his writing especially when the nib adjusted to his writing. He also found the perpetual lead pencils handy, I think the extra sharpness of the lead helped define pencil on paper pressure.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 06-Feb-14 20:24:07

Yay, polter it is lovely to hold and writes very smoothly.

It doesnt smudge either but I think Dd3 felt it looked too much like a biro and the nasty teacher would moan if she used a biro.

Off to buy a few more smile

Ineedmorepatience Thu 06-Feb-14 20:28:20

Lol, just bought a pack of 10 grin

Simple things eh!!!

HoleySocksBatman Thu 06-Feb-14 20:32:48

PolterGoose Thu 06-Feb-14 20:33:39

Ineedmorepatience Thu 06-Feb-14 20:40:29

holey those schneider pens do not smudge neither do the Jetstream ones.

Dd3 is a leftie and she wont turn her paper so drags her hand across her work.

She actually prefers pencil but the nasty teacher has stopped her from using it.

My experience is that once they get to secondary they can write with whatever they want but we will see.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 06-Feb-14 20:43:05

Polter I really struggle with writing, holding a pen has never been comfortable for me I was just told to stop moaning and get on with it when I was at school but now I chose to write as little as possible. I also prefer pencil like Dd3

That pen is one of the easiest I have ever used. Hope you get on ok with it smile

ouryve Thu 06-Feb-14 21:23:44

I seem to be filling a basket, too.

I spotted some of those z pens with animal print barrels. Wonderfully tacky.

SallyBear Fri 07-Feb-14 06:57:25

I don't know if anyone suggested these already. DS uses these as he's a left handed dyslexic.
The Heavyweight Pen & Pencil Set by Aquarius Trading http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7LK66O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Imi9sb01VDKB0 weighted pen here

SallyBear Fri 07-Feb-14 07:01:24

Arrrr! I hate it when links don't work.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7LK66O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Iqi9sb1NAYZNE

sergeantmajor Fri 07-Feb-14 12:51:20

Loads of good suggestions here! Big thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now