Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA form for a baby

(6 Posts)
elliejjtiny Thu 06-Feb-14 13:17:42

I've got DS4's DLA form in the post today. Problem is there are a load of questions asking about things he wouldn't be able to do at his age anyway like going to the toilet and going to bed (DS4 is 8 months old). I'm not sure what to put for the visual/hearing bits either as the drs aren't sure how well he can hear/see. What about the other things I do for him like help him to play? Do I put that in the additional information section?

PolterGoose Thu 06-Feb-14 13:24:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Borka Thu 06-Feb-14 13:32:14

Helping him to play would go in section 50, which is 'Do they need extra help with their development?'. There are tick boxes for needing help to play alone and with others.

lougle Thu 06-Feb-14 17:10:14

It would help, for each area, to think 'what would a typical baby of 8 months be able to do, and what can DS do?'

So, for instance, if an 8 month old can normally hold their head up, but your DS can't, then you'd make that comment when getting him dressed, etc.

starfishmummy Thu 06-Feb-14 17:44:27

It is hard for a baby - especially when you don't have a "typical" baby of that age to compare them to, but I notice you have her dc so try to remember what they were like at that age

Think about things you are doing like physiotherapy etc. DS's nurse helped me fill his in and for things like does he need help playing g we put something g like yes (he couldn't reach out for toys for instance) and for how often we used "all waking hours".

And what Couple said about holding head up for dressing: what about baths - do you need one person to hold and one to bathe or have a bathing aid?

Dressing and undressing - obviously all babes need help but do you have to change more often because of sickness and diarrhoea for instance.

Do you have to make sure your baby is positioned correctly in their cot - can he turn over or do you have to turn him

Sorry bit disjointed just putting down things as they pop in my head!

elliejjtiny Thu 06-Feb-14 17:54:25

Thankyou all. Several bags of haribo and brew later the form is done and photocopied. Just got to post it and wait now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now