Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SPEECH AND LANGUAGE UNIT FOR AUTISTIC CHILD

(7 Posts)
Twoprincessesistwiceasnice Thu 06-Feb-14 11:00:28

Hi
My dd starts school in September. I had a lengthy meeting with her EP in December and it was discussed that she is severely delayed in all areas. The EP recommended a developmental assessment unit, I had never heard of this before and went to have a look around and thought it was perfect for my dd. I had previously looked around mainstream schools, special schools, autism unit and speech and language unit. When I said to my EP about the speech and language unit she said my dd needed more support then they could offer and it was primarily for those with speech and language disorders and not those with a global delay. I received a letter today from my local councils sen department and they have offered her a place in the language unit, I had a meeting 2 weeks ago and they have now said she is autistic and she is being issued a diagnosis. What shall I do now? Im so frightened my dd isn't going to get the help she needs please help so stressed

autumnsmum Thu 06-Feb-14 11:06:46

Hi two princesses my dd2 is four and autistic and generally quite delayed although she is verbal. I would seriously think twice about a language unit what did you think of the special schools and autism units now she has been diagnosed could she attend one of them good luck

Twoprincessesistwiceasnice Thu 06-Feb-14 14:01:22

I'm not sure, her EP recommended a different unit called a developmental assessment unit, but language unit was said to be unsuitable so i have no idea why she has been offered a place?! Have rung the lady who's number was on the letter and waiting for a phone call back, just so worried and stressed out x

salondon Thu 06-Feb-14 17:15:57

Is she starting reception or nursery?

Either ways, ask them what do they have in place for kids with autism.. just calling it a ASD unit isnt enough

autumnsmum Thu 06-Feb-14 17:44:40

Salon don as I have mentioned on here two of the units I was sent to look at for dd2 were awful

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Feb-14 18:11:42

Where are you?

salondon Thu 06-Feb-14 18:16:16

Sorry, my question was to OP. apologies for the confusion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now