Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How can I help my boy

(7 Posts)
sweetteamum Wed 05-Feb-14 21:35:27

I'm looking for any advice possible.

Ds is 11 and in year 6. He's dx'd with ADHD, PDA and dyslexia. He has very low mood and it borders on depression. He's also started self harming by banging his head against the wall and slapping his face when he's stressed frustrated and anxious.

Is there anything herbal etc that children can take to get rid of these low periods in his life.

wetaugust Wed 05-Feb-14 22:14:42

No. He needs specailist help. I would start by asking your GP for a referral to CAMHS. This is something that he needs to get proper support for before it gets worse.

sweetteamum Wed 05-Feb-14 22:52:14

Camhs have discharged him 3 times in the past 2 years sad

wetaugust Wed 05-Feb-14 22:57:51

Then I would go back to my GP and ask for a 2nd opinion from a different CAMHS. You do have a legal right to a second opinion. You should definitely go back to the GP anyway and update him on the distressing behaviour your DS is displaying.

If you have sufficient funds you could seek a private reassessment of his difficulties.

But trying to self-medicate with something as serious as this is not going to work.

claw2 Wed 05-Feb-14 23:29:30

What is making him frustrated, distressed, anxious?

PolterGoose Thu 06-Feb-14 07:48:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sparkleowl Sat 08-Feb-14 10:58:57

Good advice to see a different CAMHS group,maybe in the next town?See your GP for sure. He needs proper medication, and it can make a huge difference to lifting the mood and reducing anxiety.Check if any local children are bullying? Try and find out if there are worries or bullying at school?Is he at the right school?Good

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: