Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

OCD experts

(9 Posts)
zzzzz Wed 05-Feb-14 19:05:46

I need to understand more about OCD. Can anyone recomend what I should/could read/watch?

I am becoming increaseingly concerned about not one but two of my children's behaviours.

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 19:17:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLightPassenger Wed 05-Feb-14 19:27:08

ocdyouth.info/

zzzzz Wed 05-Feb-14 19:52:30

Thank you both.

I am tired of it all today.

district12 Wed 05-Feb-14 21:17:48

I'm no expert but have had severe OCD since childhood , feel free to ask me any questions if you want to.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 06-Feb-14 12:06:43

How old are your children, zzzzz? My DS1 has severe OCD. He's 14, but he's had it since he was at least nine, if not before. Whilst I was waiting for help from CAMHS, I worked through this book with him. It helped him, but it also helped me understand OCD better.

This was also really helpful and good for very young children.

The only thing that worked for DS1 was CBT with ERP (Exposure Response Prevention). CBT on its own didn't have the same impact. Might be worth bearing in mind if the OCD-type behaviour continues.

It is very stressful living with someone with OCD. You have my sympathy.

zzzzz Thu 06-Feb-14 13:53:17

toffee thanks I will look at your links. Ds1 is eight he has needed to touch things, go through doors in particular order etc for a long time. The touching is far more overtly anxiety driven. Dd3 is 6. I feel out of my depth. It is all so illogical.

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 06-Feb-14 14:29:55

OCD is illogical. It helps not to try to make it make sense.
And it is extremely draining to live with.

I know with your ds1 like my ds it is part of a complex picture and not sure that standard CBT would work going on my experience with ds.

For dd3 a referral to CAMHS is probably worth it.

My book recommendation on G&C thread.

zzzzz Thu 06-Feb-14 15:00:00

thanks all. I'm sorry to be so bleurgh. I don't think ds1 can access any sort of "talking" therapy. In some ways I find his behaviour less worrying because he has always been a puzzle. Dd3 is coming off some mind bending meds and I need to make myself be calmer and wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now