Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IEP target setting help please

(28 Posts)
PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 10:35:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lougle Wed 05-Feb-14 10:56:38

Transition plan definitely separate.

'To spend 5-10 minutes per day, with support of an adult, to identify the key mathematics operations in a number sentence.'?

'To spend 5 minutes per day, with support of an adult, working through mathematics number sentences and recording the steps taken to solve them.'?

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 11:15:38

claw2 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:17:38

I don't think the social skill target is the important thing as such, I think how it is monitored, measured and success criteria is the most important thing.

So target, whatever that might be. Then who, where, when and how often, will be social skill group. Then ds will be given the opportunity to practise these skills, with an adult, then a peer, then a group of peers, then in the playground or classroom etc

OneInEight Wed 05-Feb-14 11:23:40

ds1 has had some good ones for social skills:

To say something nice about somebody. Target 1x times a day.

To play a game with 1 other person. Target: To be able to play for 10 minutes ( without said game flying across the room )

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 11:41:49

lougle Wed 05-Feb-14 11:47:49

Oooh Ooooh....

'To use the mathematical measure 'cuntilitre' appropriately in a number sentence answer, without confusing it with 'mullerlitre'.

claw2 Wed 05-Feb-14 11:51:07

Ds's social target was for ds to find solutions to difficulties which had occurred during that week (problem solving). The when, who, how often etc was with SALT 1:1 once a week, for 30 minutes.

However ds has never had difficulty thinking of solutions on a 1:1 basis with an adult! so how success was measured was inappropriate.

Success criteria should have been ds using these solutions in real life situations, as he is still unable to!

So totally pointless.

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 12:10:23

lougle Wed 05-Feb-14 12:16:48

No imagination, is what I say grin

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 12:50:25

lougle Wed 05-Feb-14 12:53:47

Nice work!

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 13:06:03

claw2 Wed 05-Feb-14 13:39:14

Looks great Polter,

can I just suggest 'To address any deficits in support provided by school' it may be kinder to schools ego along the lines of 'to address where extra support/strategies are needed'

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 13:41:58

claw2 Wed 05-Feb-14 14:43:53

Oh sod em then Polter!

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 16:16:36

lougle Wed 05-Feb-14 16:19:38

Well done Polter! The most useful bit of that whole meeting is that you've reinforced that you know your DS and you want to be involved/setting the targets.

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 16:59:05

lougle Wed 05-Feb-14 17:20:15

That's so interesting. When I met DD2's ELSA worker (how is it that a single person can give a child ELSA yet the parent doesn't get to meet them - or even know what they look like - until the child points them out on the school run???) the first thing she said to me was 'how proud she was' of DD2 doing the Xmas performance. I was confused and said 'she doesn't have any issue doing that sort of thing - she gets stressed in the lead up because you give her flipping song words but no music and expect her to practice when she is so literal that she can't practice without the music because at school she practices with music but the actual performance she does with gusto. Which in itself is such a shame, because she gets given the 10 second bit-part because they've assumed she'll be too shy to do something else.

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 17:26:37

Ineedmorepatience Wed 05-Feb-14 18:13:23

Hi polter loved your targets and hope some of them get included on the final IEP! At least you didnt just get handed one or worse get it in his book bag!!

We had our review nearly 2 weeks ago but nothing on paper yet!! Dd3 said she worked on her IEP today with the SENCO but they couldnt remember the target that I had asked for confused I am guessing it is the one that I said needed to be for the staff not for Dd3.

I have a meeting booked for Friday so will see what happens then.

PolterGoose Wed 05-Feb-14 18:19:16

RinkyDinkyDoo Wed 05-Feb-14 20:11:34

In the same boat here. DS's IEP came home in his book bag with a post it note saying sign and return. Errrrm, no, not this time. Especially when one of the targets is the same as the one from this time last year and I actually have that IEP with 'target met' in the outcome box. Another of the targets is a repeat target, " to point to names of characters in a book on request". Well surely in the Oxford reading tree, the scheme they are using, Biff, Chip, Kipper, Floppy, Dad and Mum are names of characters and he can point to all of those.
I've just written a note in home school book asking teacher to give me a ring about the IEP.

Handywoman Wed 05-Feb-14 20:17:48

Still in the midst of a mega <SNORT> At Lougle's cuntilitre target grin

Way to go, Polter!!!!!!! I SO need to follow your lead and get pro-active again <tries to muster up the will>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now