Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Step one on the road to diagnosis.

(4 Posts)
JoinTheDots Tue 04-Feb-14 20:00:12

Happy and sad today.

Happy preschool have acknowledged DD is not just a little delayed and eccentric, sad that they also see a potential underlying cause (disorder, I suppose) so I can no longer cling to the hope they are right and she will grow out of it.

Health visitor doing a preliminary assessment to make a referral to the developmental paed next week, preschool doing a big developmental assessment as evidence to support.

From what I have read this is a long hard road ahead, and she starts school in Sept so I wonder if we will get anywhere before then.

Ho hum, she will always just be DD to me, not whatever label she is given (if any, I suppose) but I hate hate hate to think of her struggling with life and school, I just want her to be happy always. Only I know that might not be the case.

LemonGoby Tue 04-Feb-14 20:30:22

Hi JoinTheDots, just wanted to say I totally understand your feelings of sadness and fears for the future - we are in an identical position with our DD (who is also due to start school in September), although are a little further on in the assessment process. It's a worrying time, but surely they will benefit from problems being recognised now, and early intervention - that's what I'm hoping! Courage smile

PolterGoose Tue 04-Feb-14 21:30:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JoinTheDots Wed 05-Feb-14 10:14:52

Thank you both. It is so good to know there are knowledgable people here to support those of us at the start of things. It's a really odd feeling to be impatient to get things moving and get answers and at the same time want to slow things right down because it feels like i am setting out on a road there is no way back from. Life! Who knew it was going to be so stressful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now