Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone have experience with DCD?

(19 Posts)
ProfessorSkullyMental Mon 03-Feb-14 18:14:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vorpent Mon 03-Feb-14 22:42:03

Hi, that's great that you've got a diagnosis, and really good that he's getting all that OT input. Should really help.

Does he have difficulty handwriting? We've had a thread on here recently about the pros and cons of typing instead, if you have a look down the board a little bit. Worth considering? (Sorry, not sure how to link to other threads).

If they're also thinking about autism, is that because they're noticing some sensory issues? That could be autism, but can also come with dyspraxia alone. Have you read The Out of Sync Child? It's very illuminating on that whole area.

I found that school didn't really know what to do with my ds' diagnosis, beyond perhaps scribing for him in tests. Teachers really do get no training at all about dyspraxia/dcd, so be ready for an uphill struggle getting them to take it seriously. Hopefully if he's getting OT input, they'll be able to help with this.

Have you had a look at the Dyspraxia Foundation website, or their facebook page? They have meet ups in some areas, which I've found really useful.

Good luck OP, and do post any questions on here, there's a lot of much more knowledgeable people than me on here, who may be able to help.

ProfessorSkullyMental Tue 04-Feb-14 10:06:37

Chocolatecoin Tue 04-Feb-14 14:32:02

A tip for the writing, my son found Yoropen pencils made a huge difference. And when they started joined up writing he found it a lot easier than printing, I would have thought it would be the other way around.
There is a big overlap between autism spectrum traits and dyspraxia, in particular the food issues, and anything relating to senses and textures. DS has some of those issues though as yet we haven't looked for a diagnosis, it's enough to know he has 'autism type traits'.

TheOnlyPink Tue 04-Feb-14 14:33:12

My ds6 is still under assessment, but we are all (physio and ot) fairly certain that dyspraxia is where we are going.

he was also considered for the autism spectrum, mainly because of social difficulties, but he also has some sensory issues and emotional outbursts. He was dismissed from this though as he didn't tick enough boxes and we were told that these things go hand in hand with dyspraxia.

I'm in Ireland so cant really help on the specifics of therapy, but we have only had a few sessions with the ot (on a long waiting list for a block of therapy) and some of the pieces of advice have been invaluable. Made such a huge difference to his life.

Have the school been able to offer any support?

What are you struggling with most atm?

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 04-Feb-14 14:42:57

Hi smile

My son's 14 and he was diagnosed with DCD last year by the OT. He's seen a couple of paediatricians over the past couple of years, one discounted ASD, one said it may be. He has social skills difficulties and minimal SPD, he also has hypermobility. There's no melt downs, no routine, no lining up of toys, nothing else to indicate Aspergers but he doesn't have an 'off switch' and will glare at strangers for swearing (he used to tell them off so I suppose this is progress). He can be very strong willed and he doesn't accept guidance easily as he see's himself as an adult and, therefore, an equal and not a child to be bossed around.

I found it easier to focus on the problems that he's having rather then to look for a diagnosis. The OT has recommended that he uses a laptop at school and for homework due to the hypermobility in his hands and I'm waiting to see if CAHMS will help with his social skills (I try but he won't listen to me). He won't get any more sessions with the OT. They pretty much diagnose and leave you to it here so I'm going to watch the thread for tips.

ProfessorSkullyMental Tue 04-Feb-14 14:48:46

wobbleinprogress Tue 04-Feb-14 14:50:20

My son has dyspraxia and I would echo what everyone else has said. He has autistic traits ( meltdowns, sensory issues) but we have never looked into a diagnosis. His friend with autism has exactly the same type of support, iep, groups at school so one diagnosis is enough to get help. Secondary school is much easier for him than primary, more emphasis on getting the best out of him, focus on quality of work and attitude rather than presentation. Sport is easier for him too now, the PE teacher said she wouldn't have picked him out as dyspraxic. I am a lot more relaxed and positive now than when he was at primary.

LadyMaryLikesCake Tue 04-Feb-14 14:55:15

Is that because his hands hurt, Skully? Exercises are good, do you have some therapy putty for him? A lot of things can cause emotional outbursts, maybe that his hands are too sore (this would upset me too). The SPD can make the pain more severe then a person without would feel, if that makes sense. Ds found that ink pens are easier to write with then any other as they only need a light touch to make a mark but his hands still get very sore after a few minutes. Can you try asking his teacher to allow him to have regular breaks to rest his hands?

ProfessorSkullyMental Tue 04-Feb-14 19:35:23

Snowinsummer Tue 04-Feb-14 21:36:09

My middle son's dyspraxic. It was noticed originally as he couldn't speak (verbal dyspraxia) but then he got a statement & went to a language unit. They thought he'd never be able to speak & were trying to teach him signing. He wouldn't learn though but through hard work & determination can now speak pretty well (he's 9). He's about to be discharged back to mainstream & quite simply it's a miracle. He has autistic traits & terrible tantrums. We get DLA for him.

vorpent Tue 04-Feb-14 21:51:21

My ds (8yrs, yr4) is also a bit prone to emotional outbursts when asked to write. My instinct is, it comes down to a toxic mixture of poor self esteem, intense frustration and general sensory overload. It got a bit better when we got him typing instead of writing, but still happens sometimes. I think teachers don't realise at all just how much they are asking when they tell a dyspraxic child to write. To build him up to writing, perhaps they need to really reduce the quantity of writing they're expecting, at least to start with.

This might be just my ds' personality, but actually he can get very frustrated with people hanging around, trying to help. If he's doing homework, I've learned to back right off and let him do it his own way. He'll ask if he wants me.

For what it's worth, a couple of simple interventions which have helped (when his teachers remember hmm) are:

Doing his independent work in a quiet spot outside the classroom. He gets seriously distracted by noise and movement. No one stays with him, he just gets on with it.

Going for a quick turn down the corridor outside the classroom every 20 minutes - roughly twice every lesson. Again, he does this by himself, the teachers just have to remember to send him.

Having access to ear defenders if the general noise level is getting too high for him.

In general, I find that asking for interventions which don't require input from adults are the ones most likely to actually happen hmm.

OddFodd Tue 04-Feb-14 21:59:40

Ds got a diagnosis fairly recently although it's not 'official' because it's private. I've also been wondering about DLA because there are a lot of associated costs (the kind of holiday we can go on, the fact that he isn't dry at night, the fact that he can't do most afterschool clubs, that I can't really ask anyone else to put him to bed).

vorpent - DS is much better without breathing down his neck too. I'm learning but it's a steep curve. It's very very easy to get him to down tools and I can't ever offer any 'helpful' comments or suggestions because he won't do anything. He takes any criticism very very badly which is exhausting

ProfessorSkullyMental Tue 04-Feb-14 22:12:24

OddFodd Tue 04-Feb-14 22:16:31

Interesting! DS needs 1-2-1 in a classroom environment but for writing homework (and reading), he'd prefer me to bugger off. He tries to do as much as he can in his head and I think the weight of people helpfully suggesting it might be useful to write things down or count things out visually interrupts his train of thought. It's not helpful for him to use visual guides at all - they make everything much more difficult because of his visual and auditory processing disorders

ProfessorSkullyMental Tue 04-Feb-14 22:17:19

ProfessorSkullyMental Tue 04-Feb-14 22:28:53

OddFodd Tue 04-Feb-14 22:48:18

There are upsides to that though - I quite often say we're going to do something and then realise I can't be bothered/there isn't enough time and he's got bugger all recollection grin

On a more serious note, DS has just had a week of intensive OT which has really seemed to really help. His retained reflexes have massively improved so it's turned down the sensory 'noise' considerably. I'm going to start doing a sensory 'diet' before and after school too. We've been signed off NHS OT because they simply don't have the resources and now I feel confident about what he needs to work on.

2boysnamedR Tue 04-Feb-14 23:10:30

Sorry not read the whole post ( off to bed). My six yr old has dyspraxia. He has sensory issues and some odd quirks ( some impulsive behaviour and a facial tic) but austism has been ruled out. So has ADHD.

He gets middle rate dla and it came pretty quickly - within two weeks! So there was little debate he needed it.

He is being assessed for a statement but he has complex needs - I could write a book on him!

Ot was the key to unlocking and understanding him ( as much as I can ever understand him)

I go to a local dyspraxia group. It's such a in known condition. Just talking to other parents of Dcd kids makes me feel less alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now