Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Decision to assess without appealing? Anyone?

(36 Posts)
WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 30-Jan-14 17:56:05

I am hearing a lot about people getting refusals to assess at the moment (awaiting a decision myself) - has anyone had a straightforward decision to assess recently?

bjkmummy Thu 30-Jan-14 18:05:25

had 2 agreed to be assessed without a refusal but one was 7 years ago and the other will be about 2 years ago. just had a refusal to assess last week

Everysilverlining Thu 30-Jan-14 18:06:50

Yes. But ds has cp and can't walk. He already has early years funding. It's clear he needs a statement we have hundreds of pages of medical reports to back it up and a clear diagnosis from 11 months.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 30-Jan-14 18:21:04

Just marking my place to keep an eye on the results. Thanks for starting this, WhoKnows.

autumnsmum Thu 30-Jan-14 18:55:24

Got agreement to assess dec 2012 la suggested it

hazeyjane Thu 30-Jan-14 20:17:29

We are waiting to hear whether they will assess.

Keeping everything crossed.

pinkandsparklytoo Thu 30-Jan-14 20:49:51

I sent my personal statement in on Thursday and the school received the decision to assess today.

hazeyjane Thu 30-Jan-14 20:58:53

Did it take the full six weeks from when the request was made, pink?

everydayaschoolday Thu 30-Jan-14 23:47:27

Yes. Applied direct to LEA in June 2013 (parent application), approved to assess within 6 weeks (just! It took the full 6 weeks, HazyJane), and received finalised statement Nov 2013.

Similar circumstances to Silverlining, DD2 has CP, early diagnosis, realms of supporting medical reports, significant NHS support in place (Physio, OT, SaLT, Portage, Hydrotherapy, opthamology (sp?) & medical support equipment) overseen by Community paediatrician.

Kakty3 Fri 31-Jan-14 00:03:20

Yes, applied in August and received proposed statement late December. Had private Autism dx (with separate ADOS), OT, SLT and EP reports. Cost a little fortune. DS hasn't had any preschool education.

zen1 Fri 31-Jan-14 00:38:38

Yes, but I played the system to do so in that I knew if I sent DS to a particular SN pre-school, he was guaranteed to get a Statement, as the LA award Statements to all DC who attend this 'flagship' preschool (person in charge is on the panel). Children I knew with comparable needs who attended other provision were not automatically assessed. However, having received Statement, it was a copy and paste job and I then had to fight to get DS into MS school with the right provision as the LA also placed all these children into specialist primary schools, which was not what I wanted.

Thepoodoctor Fri 31-Jan-14 06:56:09

Us. Request approved within a couple of weeks. SA period just started.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Fri 31-Jan-14 09:05:47

It's good to hear that not everyone is getting turned down straight away. I'm only two weeks into the 6 week period, so probably won't hear anything for a while yet.

Kakty - did you have the private reports done before you applied?

Pinkandsparkly - was yours a parental request or a school one?

Kakty3 Fri 31-Jan-14 12:42:45

> Kakty - did you have the private reports done before you applied?

Yes, we did (thanks to the joint wisdom of mumsnet and the internet). We made the decision to have everything in place before, as I knew this is going to be a drawn out process anyway, and didn't want to give them a chance to slow us down early on.

We are privately running a home ABA programme at the moment, which I am intending to continue as the provision on the Statement, so evidence and data are critical.

Also, planning to update the EP report some time this year (ours was just before the programme started to take record of the 'baseline'), to demonstate progress other than through ABA provider's own reports, so that the LA doesn't get to say it's biased.

hazeyjane Fri 31-Jan-14 13:32:52

I hope that speeds it up for us too - the original request was sent in with a My Plan, current reports from ed psych, advisory teacher, preschool, portage, ot, physio, salt, current ruth griffiths assessment, paed and a letter fro the geneticist.

Everyone involved in ds's care since he was 10 months old agrees he needs a statement, but I think because he has no confirmed diagnosis it means there has to be that much more evidence.

armani Sun 02-Feb-14 00:44:06

we req SA for dd in july last year and had our request accepted at the end of the six weeks. we had alot of evidence but school were not supportive so I was expecting a refusal.
statement was finalised at end of dec with additional funding for 21 hrs of ta time.
we are currently awaiting tribunal as parts 2&3 of statement are a copy and paste job and are not specified in any way. also dds ta is being used as class ta so we need statement to be specific about 1:1 hours etc.

pinkandsparklytoo Mon 03-Feb-14 22:18:11

Sorry for not replying sooner. Mine was done through the school and it took the full 6 weeks.

Strikeuptheband Tue 04-Feb-14 10:57:35

Sent my form off late November. Was agreed on the Monday back at school after Christmas (January).

Strikeuptheband Tue 04-Feb-14 10:58:28

Meant to say DD is 4 and has ASD.

hazeyjane Tue 04-Feb-14 11:52:11

bloody hell, our request was sent in late november and we still haven't heard back as to whether they will assess.sad and angry

bjkmummy Tue 04-Feb-14 11:56:14

Hazeyjane - they should tell you within 6 weeks as per the code of practice

hazeyjane Tue 04-Feb-14 12:02:29

I know, but we have had some major fuck ups, so they are now saying we will hear between the 5th and 19th February.

PrinceRogersNelson Tue 04-Feb-14 19:26:15

I sent in request end of August, agreed to assess 6 weeks later. Received proposed statement end of december. We are not agreeing and have a meeting next week to discuss.

It should be noted however that we had private SALT, OT and EP reports. I think that may have helped somewhat. Which isn't fair I know.

hazeyjane Tue 04-Feb-14 19:33:53

With yet further delays here in decision to assess, I am hoping if they do make the decision, they get their arses moving.

All current reports went in when request was made.

salondon Wed 05-Feb-14 05:06:55

Had made it clear to portage and nursery that I will be applying for SA when my child was 3yr old. Once the EP had seen her(as part of the diagnosis process), I applied. So around mar 2013.

We have very clear needs so refusal probably wasn't an option for LEA.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: