Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Who else has had a refusal to assess recently?

(74 Posts)
bjkmummy Mon 27-Jan-14 11:31:34

I know there are quite a few of us now so would be good to see who else has, what stage you are at etc so we can hand hold together through the process.

I got my refusal last Thursday and put the appeal in the same day so now am waiting ..... My EP can't see her until may due to the 6 months between tests rule so hoping my tribunal is actually as late as possible and ideally mid June which it may well be but have heard others getting dates more quickly which is a worry. Also intend to get her seen by an OT re possible dyspraxia . My appeal this time is re dyslexia so going to be very very hard and I have a feeling those few cases that make it to tribunal tend to be the dyslexic cases but we shall see

My LA clearly don't like me as I didn't even get the offer to meet with them to discuss it :-)

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Mon 27-Jan-14 12:56:23

Me. Don't despair. Ds1s NC progress was magically 2 sub levels in one term. <use the standardised testing as your evidence at tribunal if it comes to that. You have time. Make sure the same measures are used. For dyslexia you should be doing single word reading rather than sentence as the word can be guessed from context but not read.

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 27-Jan-14 13:46:25

'put the appeal in the same day'

I love reading that smile

bjkmummy Mon 27-Jan-14 13:49:24

It took me a whole 90 minutes to be at the post office from receiving the letter in the morning post :-) I think it must be some kind of record!

JJXM Mon 27-Jan-14 15:23:46

We had a refusal to assess in October. We put in the appeal documents and the LEA have overturned their original decision and we are two weeks into the ten week assessment.

wasuup3000 Mon 27-Jan-14 15:29:14

Me got refusal on 24th December - postes the appeal next availiable posting day. Have a date for tribunal now. My ds has lots of complex needs, professionals are perplexed why he hasn't got a statement, other schools have flately refused to take him as they could not afford financially or don't have the expertise for him to support him on SA+.

bjkmummy Mon 27-Jan-14 16:03:59

wassup - that's tough getting it on xmas eve? when is your hearing? is the date about 5 months from when you lodged the appeal?

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 27-Jan-14 16:35:03

'professionals are perplexed why he hasn't got a statement'

REALLY? So why is we here all know exactly why?

ToffeeWhirl Mon 27-Jan-14 16:48:32

Sorry to butt in, but I'm about to send off my application for a statement and just wanted to know what you have to do when you lodge an appeal (am expecting this). Do you just fill in a form and send it off or is there a load more paperwork involved?

bjk - you have set a benchmark smile. Am now aiming to lodge my appeal the same day too, should it be necessary.

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 27-Jan-14 16:56:34

You gotta beat 90 mins........

bjkmummy Mon 27-Jan-14 16:56:48

for the appeal - you print the form off sendist website - really simple form and then just put your reasons why you are appealing - then I sent the same paperwork I send with the original statement application plus the letter of refusal so that's why I could turn it around so quickly

spoke to indep EP the other day and she was shocked she had been refused given her levels. EP will see her in a few months - you get time to submit more evidence.

interestingly my daughter came home today with a certificate for achievement 'super progress in English writing' hmmmmmm

ive got ipsea phoning me at 6pm :-)

bjkmummy Mon 27-Jan-14 16:58:13

I had the form already printed out and as I did an appeal against parts 2 3 and 4 last year I knew what I was doing hence I could turn it around so quickly

wasuup3000 Mon 27-Jan-14 17:04:46

April fools day and because I am ringing them this week to ask them to put their comments into writing - I have emails from local primary school with their comments in writing re the provision, gathering evidence.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 27-Jan-14 17:08:07

Me too, our appeal has gone in and tribunal date set.

Not sure if LA spies on this board so not sharing too much info.

May just be paranoid but that is how its all making me feel hmm

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 27-Jan-14 17:19:31

You got a refusal on Christmas Eve and a tribunal on April Fools day? hmm

System truly IS a joke!!!

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 27-Jan-14 17:20:19

I think there is less spying. They are all chasing their tails trying to make sense of the reforms and have less time to search than they did.

wasuup3000 Mon 27-Jan-14 17:23:08

Yup star!

bjkmummy Mon 27-Jan-14 17:26:50

that worries me wassup as I need my hearing to be mid june ie 5 months for the reports to be done. I was thinking if I get an earlier date I will ask for it to be put back to give me more time.

I need more - from you putting in your appeal to your hearing - what was the time span?

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 27-Jan-14 17:29:40

You can just ask nearer the time, stating that as the evidence has become available you have realised you needed to book an EP and they aren't available at such short notice so you need more time.

wasuup3000 Mon 27-Jan-14 17:35:14

It took about 3 weeks but the dates are sooner rather than later bjk.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 27-Jan-14 18:30:44

3 months bkmummy

Thanks star I hope they are all busy, they damn well ought to be the state my LA is in, believe me it is dire sad

ToffeeWhirl Mon 27-Jan-14 19:49:55

bjk - thank you. I had no idea about the SENDIST form, so that's really useful information. How complex does the reason for appeal need to be? Can it simply be 'I don't agree with this LA decision not to assess - please see supporting documents'?

Star - hmm, 90 minutes... That might be tough, but I will keep it in mind.

bjkmummy Mon 27-Jan-14 19:53:41

if you go onto the ipsea website it gives you the reasons you can use on there in their refusal to assess pack

ToffeeWhirl Mon 27-Jan-14 19:54:45

Brilliant. Thank you.

Rhuairidh Mon 27-Jan-14 21:59:34

I am struggling to even get an assessment for my son. Health visitors watched the footage and told me they couldn't see anything not age appropriate. However I have fought with the doc for a referral to the community pediatrics but not heard anything yet.
They must be watching different footage than me as it's quite clear my son is in a hyper manic state and I am being kicked, punched, and spat at.
I don't even know what to expect from community pediatrics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now