Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
Requested a change of placement for ds for a Sept start and gave LA our preferences which included a concession of a mainstream school with a resource unit, whilst indicating we did not currently think it was suitable (as they rejected ds before) but are willing for them to be consulted in case they have provision now which can meet need. Our preferences are Independent Out of County.
LA has written to mainstream school declaring that it is our preference and challenging them to declare themselves unsuitable, which will be hard for them if they think the parents are determined, given the whole inclusion law stuff.
I don't want to contact school and tell them that we don't want ds to go there. I have another child at this school in any case. But nor do I want them to feel obliged to take a child that they cannot cater for and pretend they can because well, they may well have to and any protestation at this point may well get them my ds anyway, but just with a more expensive (for them) statement.
BTW, if they genuinely CAN take my ds (very doubtful) then It would be bloody marvellous for all my kids to go to the same school.
Why don't you want to contact the school? If you already have another child there you have a relationship with them and it's clear that you aren't rejecting them because you think the school is not good enough per se, just that it isn't right for your other dc's needs. What have you got to lose by telling them exactly what you've written here?
er, yeah. Good point!
I suppose I just want them to do a fair assessment. But that requires them being given fair information, by the LA.
I guess I don't want to encourage them to reject him either. I wanted to remain neutral but it's a bit hard when I feel I now need to intervene.
Hmm tricky how unsuitable is the unit ? Would your son continue to progress? I can see how having your Dcs at the same school would be great ! I have three at three different schools as pop said a word with the school ?
I'd speak to the school and be honest with them. Yes you'd love all DC to be at the same school but you are not sure that it is really realistic and you don't want your DS in a school that isn't right for him, how do they honestly feel about meeting his needs. I know they can't really say they "won't" have him but if you are honest with them they hopefully will be as honest as they can with you.
Perhaps I am naive but we did this with our local mainstream school and they spent a long time assessing her and did come back and say they didn't feel it would be the best place for her. So they can be honest.
I'd speak to them.
I know what I'll do. I send the school a copy of my request for change of placement so they have the context.
There is the additional nonsense that the LA have requested that ds needs a place immediately even though I have told them I am home educating until Sept. The say they won't give consent to deregister him from his special school, but if the mainstream school agree to put him on role, I can deregister him immediately without him attending for a single day
I thought the loss of right to deregister was linked to "having a statement" not "being in SS"???
No, zzzzz, the lost of right to deregister without consent is directly linked to placement at a special school. MS school or a unit within a MS school allows for deregistering without consent.
Star, why don't you make an appointment to view the school with DS in mind, despite your DD attending there, and chat to the SENCO about the areas you feel DS's needs are in, so that they have a full picture when they receive the LA documents?
zzzz the loss of auto-deregister is definately linked to being at a SS(or unit) rather than a statement.
I've recently looked into this VERY closely and as am currently happy home edding while sorting things with our new LA. .
Yup Star - you can let your DS attend MS for a week then so long as part 4 on his statement lists mainstream you can whip him out and home ed . Could be a sneaky way round that silly EWO .
That would put you in exactly the same legal position I'm now in Star - a strange & vague no man's land. The important thing is that your dereg letter states that education otherwise is only for the period while your son awaits assessment for a place at your desired placement. Don't give the impression it's permanent or the LA could decide to cease to maintain, leaving you in a dodgy spot potentially with the EHCP's coming in soon.
Yes. I've been quite clear in all my documentation that I wish ds to return to school well within the cease-to-maintain - appeal - tribunal timeframe.
That sounds like game playing doesn't it? Honestly it's just coincidence but very convenient.
Lougle We did as you suggested back in October. Senco thought we were bonkers. Kids are flooding OUT of the place and into the Special school ds is currently attending (preferably before year 6 and all that).
Completely refused a look around the 'unit' but I've been in and out of the school enough on other business to get a broad picture.
Unit now counts as a mainstream I think, in terms of deregistering.
I mean units IN mainstream count as mainstream iyswim.
Ah well, you lot all think I'm bonkers too (though you have been extremely patient and understanding). DS has an EP assessment this week who has already told me he thinks my plan is bonkers.
So maybe I really AM just bonkers. DS is doing fab though, despite his bonkers mum, which is pretty much what most DPA requests say funnily enough.
Hahahaa You have been told by an EP that your plan is bonkers? And you paid for that???
I don't think you're bonkers. I think you have a lot of 'not perfect' options to choose from and don't like being pushed into 'not perfect' options by professionals.
If the MS school your DD goes to has said you're bonkers, then hopefully they'd say that to the LA?
Haven't paid him yet..........
I didn't exactly say bonkers to be fair. But he can't support it.
I can quite see that. If he did he could well end up in a legal fight for unspecified, untried, at a whim, crazy curriculum of a parent he has no idea of their ability to organise etc. defending it as the only 'adequate' provision.
His reputation would not survive it.
Also he likes the school ds currently attends (with good reason because they keep their kids safe and happy) and though might well say it isn't meeting all of his needs, can't be certain that pulling him out into the abyss is the right thing to do.
Star - we can only assume that you have a cunning plan
The only thing that I would say is that, although you may have made this clear elsewhere, is that DS is a little absent. Now that DS1 is 13 I could not change his placement because he wouldn't let me. When he was 9 he felt just as strongly but couldn't articulate it. Be sure that this is what he wants. I understand how it happens - you become a carer rather than a parent and get used to making decisions for DC years before they express their own preference.
Units vary as their status, not all are equal so do be careful to check BEFORE your kid enters. There is a certain mental safety net in knowing you can "whip em out quick" me thinks.
Anyone who has ever experienced any sort of negotiation with the SN system is driven bonkers by definition before they are quarter way through the first battle Star, so don't fret. The damn bar of aspiration is set so low as to challenge the average person's normalcy bias as a matter of course.
We have the LA EP assessment on Monday - what joy! Hanging onto my pennies in case an indy is needed to challenge it later. It will be interesting to see whether the new LA just goes along with the old LA's watless opinions or whether they have something sensible to bring to the table. DS's secondary choice is likely to depend on it, so it cannot be ignored. He only has 18 months left at primary, so for now I just wanna maintain his current mellow, happy, progressive status quo as that's the only way I can guarantee he'll be reading at the required level in time.
Why don't you ask for that unit, with ABA 1-to-1? Cat amongst pigeons, but you never know, it might focus their minds on the other options?
Tbh, that unit with a bit of ABA rather than Teacch would have been my dream option. Very well resourced, nice school. They just need to follow nearby borough and ABAify it.
Personally I'm feeling militant this week, so I say, no asking for permission just do what you think. You're the one who deals with the fall out.
I'm planning. I will share when/if it comes to anything
No guts no glory
Bochead I agree about units saw one for dd2 where th e children were doing play doh in a portacabin
Thanks Keep. DS and I have been speaking about it regularly. I have tried hard to get to the bottom of his reasoning as he thought it was the best idea ever for a week until I realised he thought it would mean he could play on the ipad all day.
Now he knows that we are going to go looking for 'rough children' (his words) to practise dealing with them and he says that he really wants to learn this. He also knows he's going to have to do MORE work, not less, and that he's going to have to go out every day to 'different places', not the same place and that staying at home will never be an option.
He appears excited about it. I took him to a trial keyboard lesson as his current lessons are through school (fantastic Chinese lady who failed to articulate clearly explained that they were going to explore emotions ds had never heard of through music) and he had a ball. He really does thrive on novelty.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.