Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Home visit from DWP re DLA/PIP appointee

(5 Posts)
theladyrainy Sat 18-Jan-14 18:17:56

Very worried about this. My ds doesn't want to attend the visit and I'm struggling to explain to him why he has to be present.

Dormez Thu 04-Aug-16 10:05:12

My DS has Asperger's syndrome I have a home visit next week from the DWP to assess my claim that he is not capable of being responsible for his DLA/PIP payments. Does anyone have any advice or can tell me what the format of the meeting will be.

pannetone Thu 04-Aug-16 11:30:36

I had a visit some years ago for my then 16 year old DS with Aspergers. The meeting was quite informal. The lady from the DWP talked to me on my own first and I explained why DS wouldn't be manage the payments himself.
DS then joined us - reluctantly! All the lady really wanted to know was whether he agreed that I should be the appointee. Luckily he did! But really even if he hadn't agreed, there was all the evidence I had already submitted for his DLA claim that showed the difficulties he had with things like opening and dealing with 'official' post and making phone calls, so it was fairly apparent he wouldn't manage the payments.

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 04-Aug-16 11:49:26

I second pannetonne all your ds has to do is agreed that he is happy for you to deal with the DWP. If he finds it difficult to attend the meeting even that is all the more evidence for you.
I found that the meetings for both ds and dd were very informal and more to check there was nothing dodgy going on than anything else.

vjg13 Mon 08-Aug-16 20:00:43

My daughter came home from school, shouted Hi and went straight upstairs! I had explained to the lady and she was fine about it, it was very quick and informal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now