Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

PIP - when does a 16 year old need an appointee?

(12 Posts)
theladyrainy Mon 23-Dec-13 00:06:18

I'm so confused by this. My ds has the mental capacity to manage his money in that he has an above average IQ, but he wouldn't manage his money because of his ASD (if that makes sense).
Do I apply to be his appointee or not?

Yes. It's not just about managing the money, but the whole dealing with the DWP thing.. phone calls, paperwork etc.

My DS1 has ASD and mild LDs and when they came out to see him they were very happy for me to be his appointee. We decided to reassess at 18 just in case he somehow was more capable by then (unlikely) but they were very sensible about it all!

theladyrainy Mon 23-Dec-13 00:42:44

Thanks for answering - you've put my mind at rest that I'm filling in the form correctly.
He has no concept of managing money at all and would spend the lot on online gaming. His SS work on life skills with him, but there is no way he'd be able to deal with the DWP.

wetaugust Mon 23-Dec-13 12:57:49

Yes but he has to consent.
The DWP visited me at home to meet him and to check I was suitable.

theladyrainy Mon 23-Dec-13 17:49:50

Will they be able to visit him at school...there's more chance that they'll actually lay eyes on him then!

wetaugust Mon 23-Dec-13 18:26:44

No idea. It was 10 years ago for me - things may have changed.

vjg13 Tue 24-Dec-13 07:28:55

I have just had the visit for DLA for my daughter and the lady only just glimpsed her as she headed upstairs after school! She didn't ask her any questions. My daughter has SLD.

starofbethlehemfishmummy Tue 24-Dec-13 21:44:38

I will have this coming up soon.
DS will probably say that he wants to do it for himself, but there is no way he is capable. I can forsee it getting interesting...

MellowAutumn Wed 25-Dec-13 02:48:11

In this position as well . IQ of 140 but will spend it on pokemon cards smile how to I keep management of it for him without having to humiliate him in front of strangers?

bochead Thu 26-Dec-13 20:28:30

If it helps you decide my mother managed my siblings disability benefits right up until this year and she's now in her mid-30's. In that time she's gotten a degree and managed and run her own business. Now a SW,(who knows I'm on her tail!) deals with the DWP for her even though she lives independently and manages all her other financial affairs from self-assessment to the utility bills by herself. My Mum is pushing 80 and has seen enough disabled people left high and dry after the death of their parents so wanted to learn from the hard lessons of other families iykwim.

The DWP is a whole level of BS that she just didn't need to be dealing with if she was to achieve her potential.

The critical thing is that the disabled person has to be fully on board with the idea of someone else managing their finances. It's like the authorities encourage them to be more independent than they are capable of being with and deliberately cut their loved ones in order to then fail them on purpose if you aren't careful. Confidentiality is then used as an excuse at every turn unless the disabled person themselves is wise to their games. Once they have independence from you the state is free to fail them as they see fit and you have no damn rights left to do your job as advocate. If you think the education system is cunning and crafty, adult services notch it up to a whole new level BS.

wetaugust Thu 26-Dec-13 22:02:35

^^ Absolutely Bochead

teresagresswell Tue 14-Mar-17 19:05:43

Still unsure if made appointee ?granted pip for my son unsure of either ??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now