Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

can anyone help, dyslexia assessment?

(7 Posts)
armani Tue 19-Nov-13 22:02:35

dd is almost 8 in yr 3, dx global learning difficulties, dyspraxia, phonological disorder and has huge sensory and processing issues. she is working at the higher end of P levels.

we have had SA and are just awaiting finalised statement. SA was poor in terms of EP assessment, report was basically written after a stand alone observation and minimal assessment, no percentiles or fomal standardised assessments were used.

OT has recomended that dd be assessed for dyslexia but has since discharged her.

dd reverses alot of letters and numbers, including the letters in her name. she sometimes struggles to write from left to right and instead will write from right to left, she does not realise this is incorrect.

I really feel she needs to be assessed for dyslexia but am not sure where to start tbh. can I ask the school to refer her for assessment?

Handywoman Tue 19-Nov-13 22:22:58

are you happy with the statement? do you feel it gives her what she needs?

I would ask school to get full EP assessment.

armani Tue 19-Nov-13 22:30:22

no im not happy with the statement at all, saying its crap is an understatement. we are waiting to recieve the final statement and then we are going to appeal.

the statement does mention though that dd should have further assesment to determine needs, so I could quote this to the school. im not holding my breath though, between thw school and la you would think ive dreamt up dds difficulties.

armani Wed 20-Nov-13 09:33:43

bump

TOWIELA Wed 20-Nov-13 09:42:09

If you are going to appeal, I would suggest that you get some very good indie reports. As all reports have a "shelf-life" of approx 6 months, you will have to time them so that they are still in date for any potential future Tribunal hearing. A decent indie EP would certainly help. You probably also need a decent OT report. Why has the OT discharged her? If she's been dx with dyspraxia and sensory issues then it's very likely she needs regular OT therapy.

armani Wed 20-Nov-13 09:54:39

we had a great la ot who assesed and recomended full time 1:1, differentiated curriculum etc as part of SA. she wrote a fab report but the la have rejected the recomendations and I have it in writing that they will not include ot advice as they are following ep recomendations instead. even though the ep report clearly states that she has met with dd for only a few hours and her report was based on a snapshot of dd as the ep had not had the time to formally assess.
our la ot then left sad and the head of ot then discharged dd. we have followed a ten week ot programme that I have done at home and as dd has made small amounts of progress she has been discharged, despite being on the 0.2 percentile for fine and gross motor skills and 0.4 percentile for visual perception.

SoontobeDoctorEll Fri 07-Feb-14 10:40:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now