Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

MRI showing immature brain, anyone else had this?

(8 Posts)
elliejjtiny Mon 11-Nov-13 17:18:10

DS4 had an MRI at birth that showed his brain was immature for his gestation (he was born at 35 weeks and his brain looked more like a 33 week olds brain). Repeat MRI is this Thursday and I'm panicking. DS4 is now 5 months and seems quite behind in his development. He hardly ever smiles, doesn't look at you when you talk to him, no head control. He likes lights and sleeps a lot. He can roll over from his back to his tummy but not the other way round. DS2 (aged 5) had physical development delay but his MRI was normal and DS4 seems different to DS2 at the same age.

mymatemax Mon 11-Nov-13 19:43:12

Hi ellie, no MRI experience Im afraid but didn't want you to go unanswered.
I assume the original MRI was carried out due to concerns, were they expecting to find immaturity?
DS2 was born at 28 wks & at 5 months (or even 8 months) was very similar developmentally to your ds, he didn't smile until about 6 months & then it was very infrequent.
Didn't roll over until almost a yr.
He was originally dx'd with developmental delay, it really was a watch & wait game I'm afraid.
That's not to say he shouldn't receive, physio, OT, salt etc while watching & waiting.
Good luck with the MRI

lougle Mon 11-Nov-13 20:08:50

I've heard of children having 'immature brains' but that's no help to you, sorry. DD1's MRI at 3 was a bit wrong in a few ways, but nothing major, so we call it a 'squiffy brain'.

elliejjtiny Tue 12-Nov-13 11:45:42

Thanks. mymatemax DS4 has a cleft lip and palate and one of the paeds decided there must be something else wrong with him as well. His head was big so they did a head ultrasound and found he had enlarged blood vessels. So they did an mri and discovered the brain immaturity as well.

I thought it might be a watch and wait thing. His delays seem quite mild when I write it down but there seems to be something not quite "right" about him that I can't explain very well. He just doesn't seem to be interested in things like my other children were at this age. He hates being cuddled by anyone he doesn't know really well. There is about 5 people who he will be cuddled by without screaming (my mum isn't impressed that she isn't one of the 5!)

I think because DS2 had a normal MRI and he has a lot of issues I keep worrying that DS4 must be worse if his MRI has shown something.

Firsttimer7259 Tue 12-Nov-13 17:42:59

We had am MRI done at around 18 months because of gdd - was questionable. Repeat MRI a year later interpreted as normal. One pf the things they said at the first MRI was they basically didnt know all that much about brains at that age and that it was hard to project how children will develop even if the brain is missing bits. It's v hard to do but try to put it out your mind for a bit.

mymatemax Tue 12-Nov-13 21:55:35

I know what you mean about, just feeling something isn't right. Ds2 was happy just to lie there, didn't look for or want to interact etc but it was hard to quantify for the doctors.
Trust your instincts but also don't forget even if he is delayed now he can catch up!
fwiw, ds2's SCBU ultrasound were normal but he has CP, autism & learning difficulties. Unless they show catastrophic damage they really are not a very good indicator of long term outcome.

Misfitless Tue 10-Dec-13 00:25:58

Hi ellie. Just thinking about you. How did you get on? xx

Mikey11 Thu 06-Mar-14 01:53:27

Hi can you tell me how you went I'm in a similar situation
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now