Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Finding a counsellor (for me)

(5 Posts)
DayBurner Mon 21-Oct-13 11:59:24

First of all, thanks to all you regulars who take the time to advise and explain - you provide a 5* service smile

Anyway, does anyone know how I can find a counsellor for myself, preferably someone with an understanding of the difficulties of life with a child with ASD. I've looked on the NAS website, but their helpline doesn't offer counselling, and I feel that things are getting on top of me and I could do with chatting to someone.


MariaBoredOfLurking Mon 21-Oct-13 14:21:49

You can usually get a cbt referral off the GP without much bother

Once you're on the waiting list (but before you've been put down on one person's list), ring up the service and ask if any of the counsellors have experience dealing with ASD and/or problems facing carers

(the counsellor I see doesn't know much about ASD but does know about carer's issues, and, unexpectedly, her past drug-and-alcohol job means she almost 'gets it')

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Mon 21-Oct-13 14:49:47

Have you tried f2f support groups? There is one locally called Spectrum who recently had Temple Grandin come to speak.

My NHS paed also provided us with a list of workshops run by the local autism service in the local area.

It depends on what you need - I needed practical advice and to meet others who shared my 'normal' feelings.

DayBurner Tue 22-Oct-13 14:19:31

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I'll look into your suggestions soon.

Spiraling Wed 23-Oct-13 10:33:58

Ds's paed sent me to a psychologist to cope with ds behaviour, but psychologist says we are dealing with ds fine but I need support. First session, not good but actually when thought about it helped quite a lot, had a lot to get out but going tomorrow see what that brings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now