Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
Statement - I'm new to it l all and need advice(10 Posts)
Dd was put forward for a statement, this was in may. The lea agrees to assess and then everybody had to send in evidence.
I have been told today that we have not yet received the draft statement because the school have not yet submitted their part.
I am beyond angry at this as dd had ASD dx in July and we want a specialist autism setting for her, for which there is a long waiting list. This delay by the school means she is getting further away from even getting on to the waiting list as apparently the lea need all evidence to discuss dd at placement panel.
I can't get an answer on the ipsea phone so want to ask you guys, what should be my next step. I'm going to see the senco tomorrow to find out the reason for the delay but do I have a case to "take it further" as dh put it as dd is slowly missing her chance as other kids join the list before her because of the school.
Thanks. I am so but have also been in floods of tears because of it.
Your daughter will not be on a waiting list and missing out on a statement as a result, so don't let that worry you here.
Take a look at the SEN code of practice and see the guidelines there for timing of this all. It takes around 6 months to get a statement issued usually so from May you are likely to still be in the process. From what I understand the LA agreed to assess yes? Have they stated they will be issuing a statement or have they said they just need school evidence to make a decision? The LA has a set time from the SEN code of practice to respond and they should be chasing up the school to get evidence. I would be chasing the LA about this and threatening to go to the LGO with a complaint if they don't get this sorted within the time guidelines. Point out that the LA need to chase the school about this as you don't want this to interfere with a good relationship with the school otherwise. Also be aware that August can be considered a break time so that may also factor into the dates and extend the time limits perhaps? I am not sure exactly how that applies in the process of statutory assessment, but IPSEA should be able to give you more info or someone more knowledgeable here may know.
I don't know the answer to this but I think the NAS education advice line can be less busy so is worth a try
I would hope school submit evidence quickly so it can go to panel as soon as possible
Our evidence had to be in mid-July, went to panel mid-August, and statement issued end August, so it took just over a month
It could still happen quickly fingers crossed.
Hello, Do you know exactly what information the school has failed to provide? You obviously need to know this and meet with school Senco and get answers! We had a similar situation where the LEA said they hadn't got evidence from school. Turned out to be test results but our son wasn't capable of doing them and school had sent a note explaining this! The LEA are notoriously bad at dragging their heels. But they do have guidelines and a duty. Speak to your local parent partnership too. X
It can take 26 weeks so don't worry too much. If you want help then please get in touch but without having all the facts I can't give specific advice. However, it might be worth writing to the school. I can help if you like. Thanks Manish Mehta.
Thanks all for your replies. I have calmed down sufficiently now and have gathered more info. It struck me as odd when they said the school was the cause of the delay as she is already in a specialist setting of sorts and they are used to the process. Anyway I went in to speak to the senco on Thursday morning and she confirmed that in fact they had sent the info in July. Surprise surprise the lea trying to get away with it.
I spoke with the lea again on Thursday pm and she changed her story about three times in the course of a fifteen minute conversation
First stuck with the school story, then changed it to the health board and then finally, clutching at straws by this point, the Royal Mail.
So she has agreed to make sure dd is discussed at the next meeting on Wednesday. She will be getting a phone call first thing Thursday morning needless to say.
That's terrible (that it had been sent all along)
But good it's going to be discussed on Wednesday
Keep us posted
Don't get caught up in the nitty gritty. They have statutory timelines. Learn these and only bother them at those points. Their internal process are neither a legal nor standard process and should not be your concern.
Who requested the statement? What was the date? And do you have a copy of the request. If not. Get it.
The school requested the statement and all evidence for the initial part was in by may (don't have the exact date to hand, it's in dd's file tho) and the lea agreed to assess on letter dated 25th June.
This gave everybody until the 6th August to get all their evidence in.
The decision to make a statement or not should have been on 3rd September. I've been chasing them since then as I was advised dd's panel meeting had not yet taken place.
They had two weeks from the 3rd to get us the draft, which is the 17th, but the meeting will not be until the 18th. I have been assured that she will get the draft statement to us ASAP, but it will still be late.
I'm annoyed at the lea for blaming everybody in sight (except themselves obviously) and the woman I spoke to was so rude and unhelpful.
And there's the issue of not adhering to the statutory deadlines.
If the draft isn't with you shortly after the 18th, start talking about judicial review. It may get them sufficiently worried to speed up.
Join the discussion
Please login first.