Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School transport

(15 Posts)
claw2 Thu 12-Sep-13 16:40:03

Blue I have no idea if there is a taxi service from my area. I think for now, I would prefer the mileage option, as its a new school until ds settles.

I spoke to LA today, told them of my circumstances, they are going to get back to me, once they have established if im eligible.

I know that I am eligible (according to IPSEA website) as I checked before phoning them. So will chase them up if I don't hear back from them.

Thanks guys

lougle Thu 12-Sep-13 13:59:56

Ahh I see. Hope they get it sorted for you.

blueShark Thu 12-Sep-13 13:10:34

Claw - DS went in a shared taxi with an escort whose responsibility was to ensure children get in classroom safely. That said few kids were from DS class and few from another so getting them in class safely never happened!

Is there already taxi from your area collecting children for that school? If yes, that should make things easier and less expensive for the LEA. Speak/write to your statementing officer and hint your low income and the fact you are borrowing petrol money and reiterate their legal responsibilities re transport.

claw2 Thu 12-Sep-13 12:55:02

Lougle I have never asked for it until today. I don't mind driving (I have a car for now), its more a question of the expense, its cost me £30 for 3 days so far and im on a very low income. I have had to borrow money for petrol just to get ds to school today/tomorrow.

At the moment ds is still very anxious about school, started a new school, so the mileage option seems like a good one for now while he settles.

lougle Thu 12-Sep-13 12:28:00

DD1 goes on a small minibus with 3 others and an escort.

lougle Thu 12-Sep-13 12:27:29

"8:89 Transport should only be recorded in the statement in Part 6 in exceptional cases where the child has particular transport needs. In most cases LEAs will have clear general policies relating to transport for children with special educational needs that should be made available to parents.62 Such policies would need to set out those transport arrangements which are over and above those required by section 509 of the Education Act 1996." SEN CoP.

The issue isn't the statement in this case, but the transport policy of your LA. They should have sorted this all out by now.

vjg13 Thu 12-Sep-13 11:53:38

The transport has never been part of my daughter's statement either and she is currently getting a mini bus with 3 others, in the past has had a black cab with just her or 1 other.

My LA did pay the mileage at one time to parents who preferred that but then stopped so I would be wary of accepting that too.

claw2 Thu 12-Sep-13 10:14:25

Blue can I ask what kind of transport you get? ie is transport shared, who takes your dc, do they take them into school etc?

blueShark Thu 12-Sep-13 10:05:06

Don't accept mileage, in my case it didn't even pay for my petrol let alone other car expenses.

You are eligible as the school is more than 4 miles away and LEA agreed that's the only suitable placement for you DS by naming it on the statement hence you are more than eligible smile

claw2 Thu 12-Sep-13 09:47:19

Doh not per week!

claw2 Thu 12-Sep-13 09:37:57

Thanks, I have just spoken to the LA and they are going to get back to me after checking if I am eligible.

Apparently they can pay a mileage charge of 40p per mile, which amounts to roughly 9/10 pounds per week.

blueShark Wed 11-Sep-13 18:49:29

yes mine wasnt included also in Statement and we applied after the school was named and as star said its a legal duty

claw2 Wed 11-Sep-13 18:03:18

Oh thanks Starfish, I didn't realise that

starfishmummy Wed 11-Sep-13 16:45:21

Transport for children with sn isn't put in statements in our authority because there is a legal requirement for it to be provided anyway. If you look on the IPSEA website it links you to the code of practice re school transport.

claw2 Wed 11-Sep-13 14:31:28

Ds has a statement and transport isn't included, I didn't ask for it to be included. Its about a 24 mile round trip to and from school.

How do you qualify and what are the requirements? Can it be added to a statement at AR if needed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now