Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Which additional needs buggy do you have? Were you able to choose?

(21 Posts)
Perspective21 Sat 20-Jul-13 16:14:45

I know this will differ area to area but we are waiting for appt with wheelchair services for a large buggy for son 3.5 with DS and mobility issues.

Did any of you get a choice, Maclaren v. Special Tomato? If so, what did you choose and why? Buggy will be for all walking errands, days out and we have a VW Sharan with biggish boot, or can fold down a seat.

Thanks.

hazeyjane Sat 20-Jul-13 19:19:37

We are waiting for an assessment (on Tues) with wheelchair services, for our 3 year old ds, so I'll watch your thread with interest!

I am hoping for something a bit more supportive than a maclaren, as ds has low tone, and a tendency to slump when sitting, and the Maclarens don't look very supportive. I don't drive, so we walk a lot, and the Maclaren doesn't look like the best thing for walking lots.

It will be interesting to see if and what we are offered, I'll keep you updated.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sat 20-Jul-13 19:49:01

we had a mac major from WCS for dd3 (which is no more supportive than an ordinary buggy hazey) which suited us fine as I just wanted something to sling in the back of the car as I drive most places, have a knackered back and dd3 doesn't have massive support needs. It doesn't recline so sleeping in it isn't the easiest but doable. The other one we could have had was a swifty which is better for walking I have been told and more support can be added, although neither come with any accessories like baskets or raincovers hmm there was no other choice as that was what the company they had a contract with supplied, so I guess as you say will vary depending on where you are.

The only other thing I could have had was a voucher towards buying something else myself but as I was happy with a mac major I didn't persue it smile

ArthurPewty Sat 20-Jul-13 20:20:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LivingLife2theFull Sat 20-Jul-13 20:51:25

Otto block kimba is what we had from wheelchair services. Good and sturdy with lots of support, plus it looks quite trendy smile

Perspective21 Sat 20-Jul-13 21:14:59

Thanks guys, I didn't want to buy another un special needs brand as he is tall already and fairly heavy. Ha has DS but is NT in size so he literally touches the ground if he takes his feet off the footplate which he does a lot! We need to scale the whole thing up...he's actually had 1 new pram, 1 sibling's buggy and two Maclarens, ordinary standard. Neither wore out, he grew out of the first which I gave away and bought the biggest seat size I could find (XT) but he's now out of that, at least it will be no use for walking anywhere in the winter.

Had never heard of Otto block, they look fab grin but not sure how much choice we'd get, or if it's a voucher towards. I just wanted to consider options as from asking friends, I reckon we're going to be living with the buggy for a fair few more years.

Thanks for opinions, will let you know...but it will be awhile, nothing doing until we've been on holiday...wine

hazeyjane Sat 20-Jul-13 22:02:09

Yes, I like the look of the Otto Bock, the swifty doesn't look too bad either.

Perspective21, do you mind me asking if your ds walks? I worry that because ds can walk, we will be turned down.

Perspective21 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:33:30

Not at all hazeyjane, he does walk but not very far, less than 100yards on a good day and more frequently needs a ride. He is in receipt of higher level mobility component until his 5th birthday, I applied when he was three as he was a brand new walker then.

He is not a reliable walker and couldn't be reasonably required to be so yet so I think we should qualify that way. We were discharged from Physio as he was walking but she has referred us to WS and thinks we should get something. Not sure yet, although I so want the Otto Bock Kiwi now I've seen it, also recommended for DS with moderate difficulties, which he has.

I'll keep you posted!

hazeyjane Sat 20-Jul-13 22:39:11

Thankyou, he sounds similar to ds, in the distance he walks, ds also in receipt of hr mobility, still under physio, and has piedro boots. He is also very erratic when he walks ( zero sense of danger! ) and often decides to lie down on the pavement!

Ds tires very easily, and has frequent chest infections, which leave him floppy and unable to walk much for weeks.

Fingers crossed for us both!

Trigglesx Sun 21-Jul-13 11:15:54

We had Mac Major for DS1 through Wheelchair services, but when he was 6yo, we exchanged it for a child's wheelchair. The wheelchair just works much better for us - first of all, it's much easier to explain to our 3yo that it is NOT his pushchair. grin And DS1 is quite tall and when he stretched out, especially when he was distressed, it was too easy for him to either tip it or drag his feet.

He sits much better in the wheelchair and I suspect he is more comfortable. An added plus - less hassle from members of the public who feel it's their duty to point out that he is too old to be in a pushchair. angry

Trigglesx Sun 21-Jul-13 11:18:52

hazeyjane On the one time recently that I tried to pop into the supermarket without putting DS1 into a wheelchair or trolleychair, he decided to have a complete meltdown with the whole "throw himself down on the floor and lay completely out and refuse to respond or get up whilst screaming constantly." hmm blush

I will never ever ever ever again make that mistake. No matter how much of a hurry I am in. I have learned my lesson - always take time for the chair. lol

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 21-Jul-13 11:49:12

I may have to borrow you trigglesx, ds2 isn't getting that dd3's wheelchair is not his grin I find the wheelchair much easier to push than the major except when dd3 drags her feet on the floor and puts the breaks on and it gives her more independence now she's learnt to turn corners in it, she will not be impressed when we get the calf strap fitted though!

2old2beamum Sun 21-Jul-13 12:40:15

We have just been assessed for Convaid Rodeo. DD can't walk but has good upper body control. The buggy is also crash tested so she can sit in it while travelling in the car. It looks comfy.

Trigglesx Sun 21-Jul-13 13:56:00

NinjaGoose Unfortunately DS2 still thinks the brakes on DS1's wheelchair are his personal toy. They're constantly wrangling over it. And DS1 is continually trying to self-propel himself (usually in the opposite direction than I want to go!). So we are still working out a lot of the kinks in it all. grin

hazeyjane Sun 21-Jul-13 18:10:19

Glad to know it is not just me, triggles. With ds, it isn't so much meltdowns or running off (he can't run), more that he decides he can't go on, his legs give way and he just has a little lie down! This would be bad enough, but whilst he is down there he sometimes decides to rub his head on the pavement, or lick a wall (he loves a rough texture). The only way to stop him is to get him in the buggy and get moving.

The community ot talked about wheelchairs, but I think that might be a better option a couple of years down the line, at the moment I think a sn buggy will be the best option.

Trigglesx Sun 21-Jul-13 18:38:30

hazeyjane DS1 is at this odd stage where he was happy in his Mac Major, but a few children had made comments to him, so then he got upset, even though he didn't understand the comments, he seemed to understand that what they were saying wasn't nice and that it had something to do with his "pushchair." He has very long legs, and I think they are much more comfortable in his wheelchair at this point.

It's nice that wheelchair services provides us with different options, IMO. All our children have so many differences, there just is no one "good fit for all" IYSWIM.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 22-Jul-13 10:42:01

ah don't say that triggles grin we've put spokey dokeys on dd3's wheels so we can hear when she's on the move as she has a tendancy to wonder off grin

Tootsandblanket Mon 22-Jul-13 10:46:30

We currently have a jazz EasyS. ( that really is the name) for DD but later this week we are going back to try WCS to trial the otto buck neo ( the kimba is not being made anymore, it's being phased out) and a stingray r82. DD has very low overall muscle tone so needs alot of support. I have personally found the jazz very cumbersome and heavy. We call it the tank! I will let you know how the neo and stingray are.

hazeyjane Wed 24-Jul-13 19:36:11

Just remembered this thread!

Ds's wheelchair assessment went well. I am very glad we went, I had been thinking that we could manage with our old buggy, but the ot looked at his spine and neck, and said she could see where he slumped, and he is showing the early signs of scoliosis. She also said that because he tends to sit with an exaggerated C curve to his spine, that the soft 'bag like' back of things like our mountain buggy was really bad for him.

He has been fitted for a Tom Cross Country Stroller (like this, but in red), which we really liked, it will have additional trunk and head supports. She said that she wanted him to have something which reclined for sleeps, whilst still holding him in a good position, so it is a 'tilt in space'.

It is being delivered next week. I was dreading it, I can't put my finger on why, but they were great and couldn't have been more helpful. I hope it goes well with your ds's assessment, Perspective21.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Wed 24-Jul-13 20:06:30

pleased it went well Hazey, I guess it's the worry you won't get what you need and it'll add to the list of things you need to battle over smile

Perspective21 Thu 25-Jul-13 10:37:35

Pleased for you hazeyjane, I've been having funny old feelings too. I'm waiting to hear our date for assessment and I think it's a control thing with me; we'll be living with this piece of equipment in our home/car/life and I just want it to be right for my son and us. I know they will want to get the right thing too so really there shouldn't be too much to worry about, but I think with our children we always do!

I think also there was a last little part of me that never wanted to have to need an additional needs buggy, IYKWIM, I had a ridiculous idea that my son might be walking more consistently and not need one, I can now see that this wasn't realistic and I'm grateful that he does walk as I know some children with DS his age aren't up on their feet yet.

Hope you love your new buggy hazeyjane, best wishes x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now