Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

It is normal to want to meet your childs new LSA?

(7 Posts)
dontknowwhat2callmyself Tue 09-Jul-13 16:01:27

DD will be having a new LSA next year. She is starting junior school hence the reason for new LSA (she has a statement) . I asked the new SENCO if I could meet the new LSA but got the feeling it was not standard procedure although SENCO will arrange a meeting.

I just wondered how many of you actually get the opportunity to meet your child's LSA at Junior/Secondary school level? - Thanks

Flappingandflying Tue 09-Jul-13 16:09:27

I never did and flyingboy went through hundreds. I reckon he should sit on interview panels. I think it could be useful though.

uggerthebugger Tue 09-Jul-13 16:59:55

I'd say it's pretty normal to want this, and utterly appropriate to get it.

I normally see DS2's LSA once a week or so, and I get a lot from it - it means I get more to work with at home than the monosyllabic grunt responses from DS2 to 'how was your day?', and more to work with than the (fairly boilerplate) stuff that's in the home-school book. The LSA knows who DS2 is getting on with (and who he isn't), she knows what learning stuff he's buzzing about, she knows what words / concepts he's struggling with, and so on. It's a lot easier to do this at primary than at secondary, mind.

I'd also say it's pretty normal for many schools to discourage this sort of relationship between LSA and parent though. Schools can be amazingly hierarchical places, where staff are supposed to know their place and defer when told to. Some class teachers (and many members of senior management) have a problem with this sort of setup. Bollocks to that - if you can get to chat to the LSA regularly, do it....

PolterGoose Tue 09-Jul-13 19:20:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2old2beamum Tue 09-Jul-13 21:07:40

I was asked if I wanted to be involved with DS's LSA's interview, I declined and trusted the school. Met her in the first week of the term and she has the best thing for my DS.

On first meeting she was a 19 year old dizzy blond. How wrong was I she is feisty and brilliant. She has been lumbered with taking him to hospital and was told by staff there she was fantastic.

dontknowwhat2callmyself Tue 09-Jul-13 21:25:54

Thanks for all the info everyone - yes Ugger I understand what you mean about the hierarchy one year DD had a teacher who seemed to want everything to go through her rather than the LSA.

I think it's important to meet the LSA - after all parents get to meet the class teacher and DD will probably be spending more time with her LSA than the class teacher.

lougle Tue 09-Jul-13 22:57:01

I always meet DD1's new class teacher and her 4 LSAs each year. Can't imagine not doing so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now