Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Bedroom Tax

(5 Posts)
Lupa13 Mon 08-Jul-13 20:40:50

My eldest son is currently undergoing behavioural assistance & is being assessed for an autism related condition. He currently shares a room with his baby brother, but he can be so volatile sometimes that I'm afraid he'll hurt him. The behaviourist is in complete agreement that he needs his own room, but without a definate diagnosis I'm still liable for the tax if I upgrade to a 3 bedroom house. Is there anything I can do in meantime to fight my case?

SOTIRIA Mon 08-Jul-13 21:04:01

I am not an expert in these matters but I you can apply for DLA without a Dx. You can also try to get a statement without a Dx. If a Dc was entitled to DLA or a statement then they may be entitled to an extra bedroom but as I say I am not too sure.

AgnesDiPesto Mon 08-Jul-13 21:06:51

who is saying you need a diagnosis?
ask that person to point you to the legal basis for requiring a diagnosis rather than accepting other advice e.g. from a GP, behaviour support team etc.
Is the behaviourist private or a council employee?
I would suggest a GP letter of support.
You could ask the council social services dept to arrange for an occupational therapist to assess your housing needs (you need the council OT not an NHS one). I would suggest approaching the disabled childrens team not SS generally in case you end up with a clueless SW who blames it all on your parenting.
You could also apply for DLA as that can act as a passport to other support / be evidence of need

boobybum Mon 08-Jul-13 21:19:29

Hi, I don't know much about this I'm afraid but I believe that disabled children are exempt from the bedroom tax. I'm not sure whether you need a formal diagnosis so it may be worth having a word with someone from the housing benefits department and seeing if you can get any of the professionals involved with your son (paed, GP, social worker etc) to write a supporting letter for you.
Also you may want to look into the possibility of a Disabled Facilities Grant to see if there is anything that can be done to make your current property workable.

AgnesDiPesto Mon 08-Jul-13 22:06:31

Disabled children are not automatically exempt - LAs have discretion to exempt them if they choose.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: