Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EEEEEEEEeeeeeekkkkk!!! and school's not even out for summer yet!

(13 Posts)
Trigglesx Mon 08-Jul-13 19:07:18

Anyone else dealing with their child going over the top due to the combination of the heat and the end of school year changes??

DS2 is all over the place. And my 3yo DS3 is copying all his behaviours and is right there with him!!

I spend half my time saying the following phrases:
- don't touch that
- stop screaming
- come back here
- stop walking on the furniture
- stop hitting (kicking, pushing)
- leave your brother alone (to both of them)
- listen to me please

He is always always much more OTT when it is hot out - he seems to have some sort of temperature regulatory issues - he doesn't "get" when he is too hot or too cold and still at almost 7yo doesn't understand that the heater will make him warmer and the ceiling fan will cool him off.

At least I've finally convinced him that a long sleeve shirt with jumper and trousers is just TOO HOT to wear right now. It's taken me days to convince him it's okay for him to just wear pants and shorts around the house in this weather. (Last year I couldn't convince him - god knows, I tried!!)

Between the hot weather and all the changes in school right now due to things winding up for the year, it's all I can do to keep him on an even keel right now.

GameSetAndMatch Mon 08-Jul-13 20:21:32

same here, its the heat more than anything and mine gets terrible (literally) meltdowns and cant sleep or function.

thanfully I home school but child used to go to school and sme happened as yours so I do sympathise.

but at least thats one less thing so no changes to deal with.

bring back winter!

i hate the heat too, child deals better in winter.

Trigglesx Mon 08-Jul-13 20:22:44

god yes, roll on autumn! grin

RippingYarns Mon 08-Jul-13 20:28:25

oh yes

DDs head is all over the place, we've had christmas and easter today

dietstartstmoz Mon 08-Jul-13 20:44:16

Us too, I said to DH I cant wait until October half term when the clocks go back. I may then get both DC asleep before 9.30pm. DS2 ASD is really struggling to cope in the heat and his bedroom is just too hot as it gets all the afternoon sun and heat. Winter is easier.

GameSetAndMatch Mon 08-Jul-13 20:48:25

and its only July!

cant wait for the clock change too, child just cannot sleep no matter how cool i try to make room.

and neighbours staying out later too, (with bbqs and parties) and older kids during the holidays.

its a nightmare for kids with sn.

finallyasilverlining Mon 08-Jul-13 21:59:54

Same here! Ds's temper is on a very very very short fuse due to just about everything. Dd is as miserable as sin because she is hot and tired put them together and BOOM! I used to have a lovely head of hair now I look like Monty Burns.

Trigglesx Tue 09-Jul-13 07:54:13

I have been keeping the house as cool as possible, pushing ice water, and trying like crazy to be patient. It's just an ongoing situation of not listening, fighting, and meltdowns. sigh

pumpkinsweetie Tue 09-Jul-13 09:09:53

Ooh yes the meltdowns, i find this weather makes my dd hyper. After being out in the sun she gets this tiredness that she won't give into and instead uses all her reserve energy for mayhem

geeandfeesmum Tue 09-Jul-13 09:46:20

Yep same here. DD loves it outside and refuses to come in. SUnday night we had a mega meltdown, followed by 2 hours of sleep (until 10pm) then she eventually fell back to sleep at 6:30am. Plus, it always helps when family members who know all about her autism and the way she is say things like "Can't you take her to the doctor for that?" and "Well, that's not her autism. She is just being naughty."

Honestly, I feel like the worst parent in the world at the minute and family member can't wait to kick me while I am down!!

GameSetAndMatch Tue 09-Jul-13 18:11:24

gee same here too. my fault childs got disabilities, and just naughty.

Got mine stuck in a lukewarm bath atm playing with toys to calm down and get cooler.

ouryve Tue 09-Jul-13 19:13:45

Oh yes. DS1 has been so angry, lately. I had hats and toys flying at me, while I was making dinner, tonight, because he had used up nearly all his paper drawing stupid streetlights, which is all he ever draws when he's unsettled. Pages and pages of them

Trigglesx Tue 09-Jul-13 19:17:16

DS2 told me I've ruined his life because I interrupted his Mario video for his bedtime. hmm I hardly think it's THAT traumatic. 5 minutes later it could be the best day of his life because he likes the taste of the toothpaste. grin Ah, life on a rollercoaster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now