Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

This Movical Stuff

(10 Posts)
jenk1 Sat 03-Jun-06 21:42:19

A couple of weeks ago DD was admitted to hospital very badly constipated, so bad the lower part of her abdomen was sticking out

They have put her on Movical, 2 times a day for the first week and then once a day after.

It has now gone to the other extremity and she is opening her bowels 2/3 times a day.

Is this normal with Movical at first or should i be worried.

Thanks

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 03-Jun-06 22:06:43

IME jenk1, yes. It can get a bit explosive - basically shiffting all the backlog. Is it the paed version you have and are you just giving it once a day now? You could try half a sachet - It seems to be one of those things that you just have to find the dose that suits by trial and error.

Hope she's much better soon.

KommandantColditz Sat 03-Jun-06 22:06:49

Don't be worried, but maybe give her one every other day? Sounds like it is a bit much for her.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 03-Jun-06 22:07:21

Sorry - that's yes it's normal not yes you should be worried!

cece Sat 03-Jun-06 22:34:17

When dd first went on movical it had a rather explosive effect! Poor thing and poor mummy and her teachers who had to clean her up! It settles down after a while

jenk1 Sat 03-Jun-06 22:36:01

it was prescribed by the Paed at the hospital for her so i presume its the Paed version, i didnt know there was another version.

I will try her on half a sachet a day from now on.

Thanks for the replies

cece Sat 03-Jun-06 22:39:07

it will say something like paediatric plain movical on the sachet.

dd is now supposed to be moving towards half sachet a day as her maintenance dose. It is the 2 sachets a day that have the explosive effect on her... she is currently on one a day. also from paed at hopsital.

cece Sat 03-Jun-06 22:39:49

check out childhoodconstipation not sure if it is .com or .co.uk though

chonky Sun 04-Jun-06 17:59:10

Hi jenk - my dd takes just half a sachet (aged 2) which seems to do the trick!

Yafta Sun 04-Jun-06 18:03:05

Yes, definitely normal. Now you have to gradually reduce the dose until you get a more normal consistency. Only reduce by a small amount or the constipation will return.

Ds was on Movical Paediatric PLain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: