Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA APPEAL

(5 Posts)
jambuttie Wed 31-May-06 14:36:07

Can anyone help?

They have awarded low rate dla for DT2 stating they believe he needs an additional 1 hour a day assistance

WELL LIVE MY LIFE THEN AND THEN SAY ITS ONLY AN HOUR!!!!!!!

Sorry had to get that off my chest

I provided loads of information too and names of everyone involved in his care.

Still awaiting the reports to be sent to me, I requested cdc one in march and still waiting, have chased it up twice now too.

PLEASE can anyone offer any advice on appeal/reconsideration?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 31-May-06 15:25:15

We went to appeal for dd in simialr circumstances to you jambuttie. We were awarded low care after reconsideration, then went to appeal and got mid rate. I had hoped for mobility (that was what I had in mind when I applied) but I came over all 'positive' at the appeal, as opposed to negative and rather scuppered it <<roll eyes emoticon>>

Can't help with specifics as dd's was for a chronic medical condition - is DT2 ASD? Sorry I can't remember.

If you tell them you are appealing (bear in mind the time limit) they will reconsider anyway. They won't chase for any paperwork - you have to do it all yourself - but it will give you time to get any outstanding stuff. Even though you've given them lots of contact details you may find that they only have reports from a couple. Also you get a copy of all the papers so you'll be able to see what everyone put in their reports if you didn't get a copy. I was particulalrly critical of one of dd's reports in my appeal - it was very vague yet the DWP set quite a lot of weight by it and I was able to argue the case.

www.bhas.org.uk has a step by step guide to appeals and it's very straightforward. Sometimes someone from the DWP will turn up sometimes not. there was a chap at our hearing (apparently he was the for a particularly sticky case later on but as we were this first in he stuck his oar in at ours too! Thankfully he wound up the panel in the first five minutes so his presence seemed to go in our favour. The panel were quite sarcastic to him and they rather put me at ease.

Hope this helps and good luck!

jambuttie Thu 01-Jun-06 10:36:38

Thanks hun for the input.

DT2 has confirmed low muscle tone and joint hypermobility. We are awaiting further diagnosis however, all research we have found is pointing to dyspraxia and cerebal palsy which is a bit frightening as i am not 100% sure on either of them.

His twin however is being assesed now for ASD. We ain't even considered applying for DLA for him due to the ongoing issues with his twins

jambuttie Thu 01-Jun-06 11:44:35

sorry should have said I am going for reconsideration not appeal

jambuttie Thu 01-Jun-06 16:10:56

bump for more help

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: