Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SN and farting/burping in public !

(9 Posts)
marjproops Thu 20-Jun-13 21:31:29

she cant help it, shes 12 and sn, but doesn't know how to 'hold it in'.

in queues, in thecar with another passenger, on buses etc.

thefarts are silent but extrememly deadly, the burping isloud.

the tutting from other people is louder, thinking shes a rude bad mannerd little brat.

she doesn't know how to 'clench' it in or the silent burps.

sounds funny but its embarrassing, and I cant keep her lcked up in house all the time.

any advice/strategies? seriously? as pathetic as this sounds!!

zzzzz Thu 20-Jun-13 22:02:26

Burp, hand over mouth and apology should cover it.

Silent but deadly......I wait for a more wise MNetter than I!

(Nb I think there is some tea that the Japanese drink to help with stinks)

ouryve Thu 20-Jun-13 22:18:23

Sorry, but SBDs are compulsory grin There's no helping with those, but I do find that mine are worse if I've taken a few too many risks with dairy.

Do you think that quiet burp contests at mealtimes would help her learn to let them out quietly? Once she's mastered that, maybe a social story to help her understand that she needs to burp like that when she's not alone. Failing that, zzzzz's suggestion would help with damage limitation.

PolterGoose Fri 21-Jun-13 07:18:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vjg13 Fri 21-Jun-13 07:49:37

My daughter is 15 and farts as loud as poss and then laughs. So glad she can't burp too grin <eagerly awaits advice too>

zzzzz Fri 21-Jun-13 08:57:36

I should add it might be anxiety related. Ds burped (and then laughed and did it again) endlessly in the last two terms of school. It was awful. Since coming home he doesn't do it at all....well he must burp but I can't remember the last time.

Personally I am less worried by bodily functions and more worried about manners, because everyone is going to fart or burp innapropriately at some point. I am old fashioned so would go with something like this (but with a burp not a yawn obviously)

www.infomontessori.com/practical-life/grace-and-courtesy-yawning.htm

Farting is less acceptable in my household (brought up outside UK grin ) so really they are expected to go to the lavatory or walk away outside. Totally impractical with ds so I just ignore.

marjproops Fri 21-Jun-13 18:24:48

with the autism she just doesnt seem to learn ANY strategys.

those who are saying anxiety related. she is EXTRAMELY cronically anxious atm, we are going through a terrible circumstance time, so it may be that.

and no solution in the near future either.

zzzzz Fri 21-Jun-13 23:52:29

Don't teach it as a "strategies to deal with this situation". Teach it like you teach putting on socks and shoes i.e. a series of things to do.

A burp is coming
I turn my head away from others
I put my hand up to cover my mouth
I burp
I say "excuse me"
I do not smile or laugh.

I do this because burping makes some people unhappy. I cannot tell which people will be unhappy. If I do this when I burp most people will be happy.

marjproops Sat 22-Jun-13 18:31:13

thank you. ill try anything! she was doing it today inj front of a friend, who understands and knows her anyway and doesnt take notice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now