Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Horrible horrible gp today.

(10 Posts)
Geeklover Thu 20-Jun-13 14:44:26

I posted a few weeks ago about dd and that she's going to be assessed for dyspraxia and ADHD.
There has been a bit of a what will we do with the holidays coming up. Re who does what with the referral.
Had her at gp for something connected but possibly unrelated this morning. Asked dd to wait for me in the waiting room after the gp hadn't even looked at her and said she was fine but that's another complaint.
I started discussing the things she struggled with and he just looked at me and said so you mean she's lazy. angry When I mentioned some issues she has with dressing herself.
At that point I'd had enough and asked him who exactly he thought he was talking to.
He had been rude and dismissive since I walked into the room. I left telling him that I would speak to someone with better manners and went and nearly sobbed on the receptionist.
So that's the attitude of the gp what hope do we have?

ouryve Thu 20-Jun-13 14:53:03

How old is your DD? Just wondering if anyone else could put a referral through for you.

Unfortunately, what you've endured doesn't surprise me. I had a big row with one of our GPs when I wanted to change the antihistamine that DS1 takes. I wanted loratadine, rather than piriton or cetirizine, because the latter make him pretty angry (he has ASD and ADHD and has enough problems) DS1 had already picked up the GP's antipathy towards him and was getting squirmy and the GP told me that he needed sedating. He also told me that loratadine was discontinued, which is a load of cobblers - it's des-loratadine, the pure active isomer, that's been discontinued, but I'm only a mum (with a degree in Medicinal Chemistry) so what do I know?

Can you change GP within the practice? Or change practice? This one won't be helpful by the sound of it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 20-Jun-13 16:49:05

Change GP practice (its easier to do these days). Its no point at all in having to talk to someone that cannot be communicated with.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 20-Jun-13 16:51:54

Well done for actually pulling him up on his shitty attitude. I would not go near him again, what a prize arse.

Levantine Thu 20-Jun-13 19:24:25

I would change practice too, if you can. It is awful when you ask for help and get that reaction. What a prick

Geeklover Thu 20-Jun-13 19:49:29

Thanks for the messages. It doesn't make me feel good that other people have had to deal with this.
Dd is 10 soon. There has been a bit of discussion with the school as to whether they will refer or I go to gp. We are in Scotland and next week is our last week of term before the summer holidays so straight to gp was decided to be the best course of action.
I can't change practice. It's the only one I'm in the Highlands and this one covers 2 towns 4 miles apart. I can see another dr though.
I have a telephone consultation booked for Monday with someone else so hopefully I'll get someone that'll listen.

Geeklover Tue 25-Jun-13 10:07:23

I had my phone chat with a different gp yesterday.
She has booked dd and I in for a long appointment next Thursday so we can chat with dd and me alone.

I spoke with a friend and her dh at the weekend. Friend is both a teacher and also a mum of 2 boys with special needs. They were fab. Helped me with how things work in this area for assessments and just listened. Was very helpful.

I had a chat with dd last night while we had a moment alone and explained why we were seeing the dr. I thought she was going to get tearful and think there was something wrong with her until I mentioned occupational therapy and she said Aaahh like my brothers speech therapy but not to help me speak and she relaxed. That was something she could relate to.

ouryve Tue 25-Jun-13 12:12:06

Glad you no longer feel like you're banging your head against a brick wall.

We're rural, too, and in a similar position with GP availability. Thankfully, they got a shiny new partner, a couple of years ago and he actually listens and interacts and talks with respect. We've finally hit the 21st century and can book appointments online. I've noticed that his slots sell out quickly.

Geeklover Tue 25-Jun-13 13:48:37

We are lucky that because it covers the 2 small towns there are a few gp's to choose from we can also go to the next town's surgery if the gp we want to see is there.
Dd left my friends house which is literally across the road from the houses we face onto to go to the local shop herself. She has been there from our house and friends house lots but stepped out the fri t door and realised she didn't know the way. She has never walked from friends house alone. Wee soul. She told me later she could see the community centre building that is right next door to the shop but couldn't figure out how to get there. So she asked her 7 year old brother to take her grin. It sounds funny but is also such a shame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now