Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

what else can I do/sign up for ASD Autism

(5 Posts)
kafkesque Wed 19-Jun-13 18:08:40

Ds6 HFA started Statutory Assessment.

I still feel so helpless despite securing independent reports from SALT, OT and EP.

I think I have signed up for all the workshops, courses and emails. Which ones should not be missed? Can you recommend any?

What else should I do?

PolterGoose Wed 19-Jun-13 18:34:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 19-Jun-13 19:04:28

You know what? I'm a huge advocate of parents helping themselves but if I could have my time back I would do less chasing other people and more playing with my ds.

I thought signing up to things and buying books and things would somehow magic that autism away. It didn't.

However learning about my ds and spending time with him meant I was in a better position to advocate for him and importantly know when provision was bollocks or in fact worthy of our time.

I like Motivation and Reinforcement by Schramm as a good guide to help you through this stage.

kafkesque Wed 19-Jun-13 20:35:48

Yes it's all the self help stuff I am totally into.

Right I'm off to play with Ds even though it is bedtime.

It might be a stage I am going through as HT thinks I still have not come to terms with it after 4 years.

MumuDeLulu Wed 19-Jun-13 21:39:26

She probably means well, but she's talking out of her a**e.
You don't ever come to terms with SN. You don't ever get over it. Because your dc is always changing, the grief of watching them struggling with 2yo things is simply replaced by your feelings about the 10yo things.

You do get much better at carrying on regardless, you develop the hide of a rhino, hone an ability to 'triage' (ie make decisions about what really matters) that a war-zone army medic would envy, and you learn to live reasonably successfully alongside the fact of the SN, and to live in the moment well enough so the disasters don't overshadow all the good times.

Have to say though, it took counselling, medication, a RL parent support group, and lots of honks from the MNSN geese to get me to that point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now