Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SEN appeal Tribunal

(37 Posts)
inappropriatelyemployed Tue 18-Jun-13 19:34:38

Having to lodge my 3rd appeal in 3 years.

Can't remember whether I can email the appeal form across or if I have to post?

Also, apart from evidence, is it just the letter from LA and Tribunal's appeal form that has to go?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 18-Jun-13 19:38:00

I'm afraid I can't remember but just wanted to say two things:

1) Good luck
2) FFS

MumuDeLulu Tue 18-Jun-13 19:38:53

Oh IE. Not again. Yes, those 3, plus 'reasons for appeal'
They only take snailmail or (reluctantly) fax.

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 18-Jun-13 19:40:16

Ta guys - so pressed for time. Appeal needs to be in this week.

Statement can't be delivered as he is not bloody well in school but LA say 'provision is appropriate'!!

TwiglightZone Tue 18-Jun-13 21:24:13

Good luck IE. It is so stressful doing an appeal.

starfish71 Tue 18-Jun-13 21:49:59

Not sure if any help but may be worth checking if you can email the form, I did, but am in Wales so my appeal went to SENTW. It was great being able to email my appeal and had recorded delivery next day of confirmation they had lodged my appeal.

Good luck again x

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 18-Jun-13 22:05:25

The hardest part is not to write a rant about these feckless, useless bastards.

They've done bollock all, have no idea, left him out of school with me organising all the meetings etc and yet email me today to say they have deigned to come to a meeting next month but make the point that they hope it will be a 'positive' meeting which will enable DS to return to school.

Yes, cos that is what was stopping him going back to school, the lack of a meeting FFS! Oh and the 'lets hope it is positive' is a little slap on the wrist in advance for me to behave myself, stroppy mummy. Demanding those poor LA ed officers do their job. I should be ashamed of myself!

AgnesDiPesto Tue 18-Jun-13 22:26:48

I think you have to post the application form as it says that bit cannot be accepted by email but I think you can email the rest. If you send the form but not the other docs they automatically give you 10 days to provide the missing docs. But do check in case its changed!

TwiglightZone Tue 18-Jun-13 22:37:03

When I wanted to write a total rant about the LA school my DS was about to be dumped in, I stopped, thought for a split second and then went into ultra professional-mode and wrote, without any personal emotion or attachment whatsoever, a report about the school. This has had far more impact on any rant grin .

You can do it IE.

bochead Tue 18-Jun-13 22:44:47

wot Star said wiv bells on.

+

I so admire your strength.

I know you are looking at the tutor funded home ed option, but was just wondering how amenable you think your LA will be to it, given all the historic vexatious nonsense. Would the same option be less stressful to obtain in a different LA or would it gain you no strategic advantage whatsoever?

Your family is being subjected to crazy levels of stress on so many levels and I'd love for it to just STOP and for you to be able to get off the merrygo round for a while.

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 18-Jun-13 22:51:08

Thanks Bochead. I really appreciate those thoughts!

I suspect the LA will make me fight for everything - they always do. Because they can. Who is going to make them do anything differently? There's always an excuse they can make up for not doing stuff.

After all the agreement at school/professional level and GP support etc, to suggest he just needs a meeting to sort it out shows they are thinking if making this tough.

Are other LAs any more open minded? The weird thing is I don't think this would be any more expensive than his current package!

TwiglightZone Tue 18-Jun-13 23:06:28

It's not about money though is it? It's about their 'principles' and that they obviously know more about your DC than you! Also, if they 'let' you do it, then it'll open the floodgates to everyone being 'allowed' to do.

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 18-Jun-13 23:15:31

Yes you are right! It is about them and sometimes it is about me- or teaching me who's boss.

It is certainly never about DS.

TwiglightZone Tue 18-Jun-13 23:21:49

It is almost certainly NEVER about the child's best interest!

AgnesDiPesto Wed 19-Jun-13 00:39:01

IE tell them to 'think outside the box' and do some 'blue sky thinking' how they can be a 'trailblazer' and use a 'family and child centred approach' of direct payments for education to enable you to take a 'creative approach' to supporting your child's needs grin. Can you tell I have been reading an autism strategy document? In fact find theirs and quote back at them every naff phrase you can find.

inappropriatelyemployed Wed 19-Jun-13 07:32:27

Great idea!

inappropriatelyemployed Wed 19-Jun-13 07:38:22

Is the autism strategy just for adults? Just had a look and our LAs doesn't aspire to much!

inappropriatelyemployed Wed 19-Jun-13 08:03:34

I've forgotten pen - do I have to send copy to LA before deadline too? Or do Tribunal do that?

TwiglightZone Wed 19-Jun-13 08:08:56

Think you have to send copy to LA too. I have never received anything from Tribunal except their directions and hearing details.

inappropriatelyemployed Wed 19-Jun-13 08:22:10

I don't know why I sweat so much about these appeals. I don't get the feeling anyone ever really reads them. Even if you go to Tribunal, the Tribunal is interested in the evidence not your 6 month old appeal document.

What a joke.

TwiglightZone Wed 19-Jun-13 08:28:00

I was thinking that only yesterday when I've been doing the working document. I paid all that money for the lawyer to do my appral and for as much as it has been read, I might as well written just "because I want to"

bochead Wed 19-Jun-13 08:35:34

With my lot it's DEFFO about teaching me who is boss!

It's so sad that last year DS's progress was such that if you charted it on a graph it was almost vertical, and now I'm being forced to look at the same option as IE. If there was any belief at all in evidence based education then they wouldn't have broken what was fixed in order to make their pathetic point. It's so frustrating!

The CHILD is the last item on their twisted agenda. Loving "Agnes's" comments, but I cba.

We are opting for another LA as at least I'll have the novelty of some new faces wink.

inappropriatelyemployed Wed 19-Jun-13 09:46:01

I understand that thinking Bochead, I really do.

The nightmare functionnaire dealing with us pretends that someone else is dealing with the case but is pulling the strings behind the decisions. They are always referring to 'senior managers' - who the fuck are they?

This Ed Officer is a piece of work. Underhand and thoroughly spiteful -even out old head agreed. Absolutely no idea about the equality act or the law and her reasoning (and I have seen the emails) is completely unlawful and quite often defamatory.

LA's strategy in this God forseaken province is - don't go to any meetings, let them all sit around and think they are agreeing stuff, ask them to do a report, pretend some well-qualified 'Panel' has had a look at it and refuse everything everyone asked for with 'SEN Panel said no'. Not our fault.

Crazy. But they tell me they are highly thought of for their SEN work hmm

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 19-Jun-13 10:07:19

Even in my LA I was getting 'Other parents don't complain, our feedback is excellent'.

They could be right because information is so tightly controlled in a culture of lies and low expectations parents are grateful for anything. Who would believe these people go to the extent they often do to deny their child their rights. Even if suspected, how many would allow themselves to believe it and have to deal with the consequence on being enlightened?

tryingtokeepintune Wed 19-Jun-13 10:13:35

Sorry you are going through this again.

You know, I just posted my appeal not too long ago but cannot remember what documents are needed, just the weariness and stress of having to go through it again.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now